Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. First post. I have read and learned a lot from this forum. Thank you.

I am a lefty and shoot a customized 1100. I have been reading and trying to get better at trap and the more I read the more I understand that I need a new gun. I play all the games.

I am wondering if you get a combo and set the single barrel up for trap with lets say a 3-4" high POI at 40yd will the double barrel also shoot at a similar POI. I am pretty sure that it does as well and a trap gun should only be used as a singles or doubles but not Skeet or Sporting Clays once set up.

It would be nice to be able to set up a single barrel for trap at 100% above line of sight and then be able to have the O/U at a 50/50 for use on skeet and SC. Is there anything like that or a way to do that? I don't think that the thrower at my club can throw doubles, but I'm pretty new to trap and dont know for sure.

We get a small bonus at work in March and my plan is to add a trap gun to the safe. I am an FFL but mostly deal in NFA items on nights at weekends. The stores I deal with have a minimal selection of trap guns. I am not opposed to buying used. What would yall look at for a lefty? Wouldn't want to put more than $2500 in a gun. Thought about the BT-99 adjustable comb or even the TT-15. Not sure that I need an O/U b/c Im not sure that I will ever shoot doubles. Other gun ideas?

Thanks.
Tim

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
You are really going to need a gun with an adjustable rib and probably a comb. Money wise probably the TT15 unless you get lucky on another combo.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If you play all the games you need at least an O/U. My advice to you would be to consider a gun in your price range that is set up for Sporting or International Trap. It will be usable for everything.

To answer your combo question about POI of the various barrels, probably not. Since most combos have the O/U barrels shorter than the single, they will automatically shoot higher than the single with the same comb settings. That assumes the barrels are regulated properly.

Before you do anything, experiment with your customized 1100. If you have an adjustable comb, try raising it to see if you actually do any better with it for singles. Not everyone likes a higher POI.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
For your money and requirements, I'd consider the Browning XT trap combo. The barrels/combs are adjustable and the O/U barrels usually register spot on for POI. There's plenty of 'em on the market, reasonably priced.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If I were in the same position. I would find a beretta 682x combo. So many extra barrels etc you can find. But you probably will have to remove and add spacers to make both barrels shoot same if get unsingle.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I like a gun that shoots high for singles, even higher for handicap, and flatter for trap doubles, skeet, sporting clays and hunting. In reality, the sight picture is the same for all with the exception of the first shot in doubles ( I have to pull up tighter on this fast rising target) but it is close, so no big deal.

From what I have seen, if you don't buy a combo that has adjustable ribs on all barrels (along with adjustable comb), you may not be able to get all barrels to shoot where you are looking and where you need it to shoot for the type of target( rising-trap, crossing- skeet or sporting clays) without some sort of compromise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about my original question and POI and came to realize that I don't see how POI could change with any significant amount between barrels. Ive been thinking about it more and more and have come to realize that I don't see any benefit to the single barrel. I think that I will look solely for a dedicated O/U.

Now begins the hunt. There are so many options. Being left handed thrown a monkey wrench into the who thing. Don't really want to buy a LH because of resale if I ever choose to change. So that pretty much leaves something that is neutral.

Anyone know what guns come with or how I can determine what has neutral cast just by looking at a gunbroker add?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
t, you will be doing yourself a disfavor by taking that approach. You want the gun to fit you. If it does, you will learn to shoot it well. If not, you will struggle. Been there; done that. Shooting sports can be frustrating enough without needlessly handicapping yourself. Buy a left-handed gun that fits. You can always buy a right-handed stock to put on if necessary when you sell it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts