Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked Briley to make chokes for an already-threaded Briley-choked barrel to move the POI up and over about four inches each and they did.

Neil

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
If memory serves, they can change POI approx. 6". They will require you to relay what you want them to do. They are precise! Yes I have had it done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ordered an eccentric choke from Briley this afternoon. Specified that I wanted them to start with an extra full choke and make it shoot as high as possible. Ted at Briley thought they could make it shoot at least 8 inches higher. Will pattern with my concentric chokes and compare.

x-factor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Neil,

Briley did not ask me to send the barrel. I asked them if they were sending me an extra full choke for me to install in my barrel and mark the top dead center and return to them. They said that all they needed was the choke series number (S-26) and the bore size (.730). They said to have confidence in their manufacturing experience and that they knew what they were doing. My background as a tooling and methods engineer kinda makes me wonder. They would have to have exact measurements on the end of their lead screw in relationship to their end stop exactly the same on all of their S-26 chokes. What do you think? Has anyone on this site sent their barrels to Briley. Pheasentmaster, do you remember sending your barrel to Briley. All I had to do was give them my VISA number and they said that in about three weeks, I would have an excentric high shooting extra full choke.

X-factor

·
Registered
16,536 Posts
For extended chokes a couple of thin shim washers would enable such a choke to fit correctly. This would require the choke seating on the end of the barrel rather than completely filling the threads.

I haver no such chokes but this should work.

HM

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
XFactor - I would suggest talking to Jimmy Williams @ Briley, if you haven't already - he is the resident guru on this. He did 2 ext. chokes for me and I was pleased with the results. IMHO to do a complete job, send him the poi patterns @ approx. 16 yds. with at least an imp. mod. choke, and send the choke you used along with your gun. He can come pretty close to what you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
110% high with Briley Eccentric Chokes

I have just completed my testing of two Briley Eccenctric Chokes. I asked them
to make the chokes shoot as high as possible. After patterning two boxes
of shells, this is my results.

Model 12 with Briley Extended Thin Wall Choke (light full) 80/20 high
Model 12 with Briley Eccentric Thin Wall Choke (extra full) 110% high

Browning BT-99 with Invector Plus Choke (light full) 60/40 high
Browning BT-99 with Briley Eccentric Choke (extra full) 110% high

I patterned everything at 35 yds and the above percentages are as
close as I could estimate. My contact at Briley was Ted.

E-mail if you have any questions

x-factor

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have been thinking about getting this done for awhile. What did Briley charge for the Inv+ eccentric tube?

Am I not supposed to ask this? Just saves a call to Briley..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was a good way to adjust the impact on my BT-99 without adding an
adjustable comb. My stock fit was good for cast, I only needed more
impact height. My singles score went from 65 to 95 only changing
to the Briley Eccentric Choke.

X-factor

·
Registered
438 Posts
Assuming the choke tube extends from the end of the barrel, it would have to be bent or formed in a slight upward shape. What effect does the impact of the shot charge have on the choke upon hitting the upslope? Over a period of time? Would seem to remove the bend, putting the shot back where it was before.

Neil...do you take your targets at exactly the same distance each time? How can you? But moving shot to the right or left a set amount would be good only for one fixed distance from the gun, yes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
CharlesR1100, I had two chokes made. The Model 12 choke was an extended
Thinwall Briley Eccentric Choke and the one for the Browning BT-99 was an Invector Plus Flush mounted choke. The outside diameter and threads are
exactly the same as the original choke dimensions, only the straight section
of the choke is modified to change the impact or the left or right direction of the shot as required.

I believe a benefit of building impact in your choke will also reduce the
upward barrel jump similar to having your barrels ported. I know that
Neil will agree, its just Physics.

X-factor

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Good thread... I thought the only way to change POI was via a comb adjustment or a rib adjustment... Very interesting ....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, I guess I do not understand. Is the choke tube completely within the gun barrel so that nothing extends past the end of the barrel?

I assumed these chokes were extended chokes threaded in the barrel with the end of the choke extending past the end of the barrel. (Like the K Ti choke tubes in appearance.) But only the extended portion deflected up or to the side.

Or are you stating the choke end is flush with the end of the barrel? And all the deviation of pattern (up/down/right/left) is done there? Hard to immagine.

Yes, I would think that pushing up the POI would push down the barrel end and reduce slap. But not much.

Anyway, hope Neil can clear-up the right/left issue. Also the choke would have to be indexed exactly to the same location when on the barrel.

Presumably, if the choke deviated the pattern to the left, backing it out a half turn would cause it to shoot to the right. Quarter turn, up etc.

·
Registered
438 Posts
One other point. I interchange my K choke tubes between a KX-5 and a K80. Are the Briley choke tubes that change POI interchangeable, or are they limited to just one barrel on one gun?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.