Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received an email advertising a pocket holster for the BACK pocket. It looks cool, but seems to be an invitation to steal my firearm.

Many security-minded folks advise against keeping a wallet or IDs in the back pocket. The front is less accessible to pickpockets. If this is in any way reasonable, why would anyone suggest keeping a ready firearm in the back pocket? Are back pocket holsters that difficult to lift out?

Would sitting on a handgun be comfortable?

Finally, what's the advantage of reaching around and digging for a gun? Is there enough time to draw and fire from the back?

Larry J. Frieders
Grandpa's Arms, Inc. (FFL)
340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I agree with your assumption of a pickpockets access to your back pocket. My wife always reminds me to put my wallet in my front pocket when we are in a crowd. I do however work with a guy who carries a Ruger LCP in his back pocket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am religious about carrying but have never personally used the "wallet" holsters. However, I do have friends who regularly use one and they swear by them. It won't take much longer than any other concealed pocket gun to draw, but you have the added advantage of "complying" with the robber by getting your wallet when asked. Oh so they say

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used one for about two years with my Ruger LCP it was great it wasn't uncomfortable at all to sit on.

I was worried about pickpocket also but I figured that I haven't been pickpocket in the 36 years I've been alive so I went with the wallet holster.

Drawing the gun was not difficult and as long as you have one in the chamber you should have enough time to defend yourself if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Over the years I've tried five pistols reputed to be perfect for concealed carry. All but one (for me) has had a flaw or two. Where to carry has always been a big concern of mine. I finally settled on the Ruger LCP for front pocket carry in a small holster. I'm right handed and carry in my right, front pocket. It's very difficult to tell if I have a gun with me or not. I don't like it's trigger pull at all, but my first group with the pistol right out of the box was a little over 2" at 8 yards and spot on. I can live with that (I hope). For awhile I tried the back pocket and it was OK for the Browning .25 ACP or my .380 Bersa, but the back pocket was a concern about someone seeing the outline and trying to lift the pistol. The Bersa, Walther PPK/S were too big or too heavy for the front pocket. The LCP is OK but not perfect. Because of my belly, it tended to ride "over and down the hump" making it a little uncomfortable. For the last several months, I've remedied that problem by wearing suspenders. The PPK/S is one fine pistol, but it is just too heavy. I've also tried a couple of small 2" revolvers ( I count them as one since they both didn't work like I'd hoped). They were too "fat" the lightweight one was better overall than the other, but not by much. Hope this helps organize your thoughts on the subject.

Johnpe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Haven't heard too much about U.S. pickpockets using this technique . . . but the back pocket is susceptible to bump, slit pocket with razor, drop contents out the bottom.

Personally I don't see any advantage to rear pocket carry when the front pocket works and is closer to my protection. YMMV.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Inside waist band is best in my experience 25 years on the job hot or cold can be covered and fast..front pocket is cool with little gun, ever tried to draw when sitting? I've caried a Kahr pm-45 for several years is the best of all worlds and has the power to take care of business. IMO
Michael

·
Registered
199 Posts
Years ago my back-up gun was an ERMA .25 - which is a poor caliber but the gun was compact

and worked fine. I made my own hip pocket holster, which wasn't much larger than my wallet

and carried it for years. ( Recently I bought a Sneaky Pete for a Smith J frame and haven't used it.)

Regards,

Edisto

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
That's right there is funny!
I have a Sneaky Pete for my XDS-45 ACP, I can't access the pistol as fast as I can my S&W J frame in my front pants pocket, also people in the know, know I'm carrying when they see a Sneaky Pete

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use the rear wallet holster by the holster guru. I carry the Berreta Tomcat .32 and a Glock 42. I love them. Made for the specific gun. Check out pocket holsters.com

·
Registered
534 Posts
Its pretty difficult to get a gun out of a front pocket when seated. IWB is easier to draw from, but not as comfortable for me. Everything is a trade of I guess.

·
Banned
818 Posts
I have several "Deep Conceal" holsters as well as wallet holsters and inside holsters for certain guns ... People ask me all the time if I carry before telling me that they never would of known ... They still didn't in all honesty, but I was ... What works for you is the right one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec P32 in my right front pocket with the barrel pointed up and trigger forward. Pretty easy to hook a finger through the trigger guard and pull it out when needed (which I haven't as of yet). I used to carry a P11 this way, too, but my son needed a house gun so I gave it to him. BTW, I've never been "made" when carrying either, and that includes by cops who were told to look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts