Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our two year old pat trap started to throw a lot of illegal right hand birds. Then it started to break a lot of birds. After our home trap mechanic discovered that the elevator was not always coming up for the birds. The cause was not the timing but the crud built up on the elevator that was binding it. After scraping broken pieces of clays from the slots the elevator passes through and spraying WD40 on the sides of the elevator the machine now works like new. Question what preventive maintenance should be done to prevent this from happening again? Afraid the wrong kind of lube would cause more problems then it is worth by collecting dust from the clays and binding the elevator. The freezing cold weather probably did not help us any. Anyone run into this?

·
Premium Member
11,835 Posts
Use Brake Cleaner to remove the WD40.
All it will do is collect the dust & gum up.
This creates a much worse problem than you began with, which was poor maintenance. Best way to keep it nice is with compressed air.
WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it's a mosture disbursement spray.
MG
+1 on the compressed air (so long as you don't get the crud in your eyes, or something). We keep a small compressor right in the trap house.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
We have a wet/dry shop vac in each of our traphouses. It gets used every time we close the trap down for the day. A clean PAT trap is a happy PAT trap. Some guys like to vacuum it out, and some guys like to blow it out. I think blowing it out, just moves the crud around in the traphouse.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Its pricey but graphite in a aerosol can is great for a dry lubricant.
I use it on a variety of things like garage door tracks.
It sprays in a liquid then it drys to the touch leaving a dry film of graphite.
Henry

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm thinking you shot at the league shoot in central Pa. on Saturday the 18th.
The new help is still learning how targets should be handled.
The targets were being dropped onto the turret, which caused a lot of breakage.
This caused the elevator from working properly, and caused the illegal targets.
The regular trap mechanic no longer works on the machines.
He was at the shoot and fixed the problem.
The machine was cranked up to 51 mp, a few days before and not set back.
I could go on and mention other problems but my two fingers are getting tired.
Have A Nice Day.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
The machine was cranked up to 51 mp, a few days before and not set back
You might want to be sure they back those traps of after they do that. Leaving them like that is hard on the rubbers. If we have doubles last we always back the traps off before we shut down.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Pull the guides off and buff (220 grit paper) the mill marks off the slots on the Delrin. It doesn't take much. Pull the bottom rod guide off and clean the hole up also. No lubricant as Delrin is slick when clean and smooth. You only have to do that once, pat put out some that were tight but the saw marks on the Delrin hold target dust and that binds the elevator. This is a common problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our trap was doing the same. One of the club members called CAC and they walked us through how to free it up and clean it. Turns out Pat-Trap painted the elevator and that was gumming it up. Did what CAC said and never had a problem since.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Al Pulec in Hastings, NE makes improved Delrin guides for the Pat trap elevator. The guides have reliefs incorporated to allow debris to fall through. I have installed a lot of them and have not had any call backs for sticking elevators

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Al Pulec in Hastings, NE makes improved Delrin guides for the Pat trap elevator. The guides have reliefs incorporated to allow debris to fall through. I have installed a lot of them and have not had any call backs for sticking elevators
thank you. Dean Newman had told me and it slipped my mind. The price was reasonable and Dean said so far they seemed to help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts