Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please post photos of your trap house!

3K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  nomderf 
#1 ·
On another thread I requested ideas for the 'ideal trap house'. Jim101 posted a photo (Thanks!) and I'd like to see more trap house photos posted on this thread. Let's see some trap houses! Thanks.

Porcupine

#17 ·
Mobile traphouse, set up on skids, pulls easily behind a pickup or golf cart. Everything runs off of one 12 volt battery, thrower, oscillating motor, and wireless release that works from about 70 yards away! Took 2 afternoons to build and have less than $500 invested in everything seen in the picture! By the way it throws great targets and I built in all kinds of ways to adjust for perfect targets that don't curl. Target height can be adjusted down to the nearest 1/2 inch for perfect 9-10 ft. target (currently set to throw 9'2" at 10 yds in front of machine). It is light enough that 2 people can pick it up and put in back of truck to haul anywhere! It measures 7'6" wide and 3' tall.

As good as it gets, Mr. Mark

#18 ·
Here is a view from the 16 yard line. All the sheet metal was scraps left over from roof of shop we just built, still need to paint those green! Just built this little machine last weekend during all the snow we had and it still hasn't warmed up enough to paint yet, has been warm enough to shoot though!

Enjoy, Mr. Mark

#21 ·
The Do-all only really does one thing out of the box and that is throw flat targets one direction! It only does that about half the time! However with lots of modification I have got it to where it feeds 99.9% of the time angled back to throw a trap target.

As for the oscillation, Do-all says they have a wobble attachment coming soon that will allow it to oscillate and move up and down.

I decided to go the homemade route and mounted the machine on a swivel plate from under a boat seat a buddy of mine was wrecking out. The swivel plate is mounted to the house with four 1/4" X 3" carriage bolts which allow me to adjust the whole machine through the plate and this allows me to raise and lower as well as raise or lower either side and this way I can flatten targets out when the wind is east or west. The oscillating motor is a 12 volt windshield wiper motor from a 1981 chevy pickup a friend was wrecking out. The arm that connects the motor to the swivel plate is also from that truck and uses the original ball joints so it never binds up. I added a 3/8" turnbuckle in the middle of it to adjust the field left or right. The piece of 1" angle iron, seen in the picture, that this attaches to was cut a specific length after a little figuring to allow targets 17 1/2 degrees both right and left, it turned out perfect!

When I push the button on the wireless remote, the machine throws and while the arm is recocking, the machine oscillates to a different position and stops, once the arm gets cocked, this movement of the machine also helps that wonderful "Do-All" trap drop a target correctly onto the throwing plate. After shooting about 100 birds off of it I have had no problems with it not throwing a different direction each time and it throws straitaways, far right and left right to the edge of the stakes, and of course everywhere in between.

Just a weekend project with a little careful planning and use of lots of scraps laying around.

Mr. Mark

#22 ·
Hey L.A.!!! You have to come back to Old Colony. We just bought all new 5 stand machines! We are throwing great targets with no breakage, singles, on reports pairs and simo pairs. There are loads of programs from beginner to advanced. Let me know if you and Don decide to come........Yvonne
P.S. All the targets can be shot with Skeet or IC!

#24 ·
MrMark, thanks for explaining how that works, I have been considering one of those throwers but was unsure of the angles. Your design seems simple enough. I saw on their website you can get an extension so it will hold 90 targets, has anyone tried that or made their own? -Rich

#26 ·
The problem with the extension on the magazine is getting the magazine too high to permit loading of targets. Obliviously the arm on mine isn't ground level but it is within 8 inches of it. The top of the magazine is however about 5 inches from the top of the house and you can only load about 10 targets at a time. If you were to put an extension on it you would have clearance problems. The back of my trap house is 3' which is maximum height according to the ATA rule book. The front slopes up to 3'3" to give some more clearance inside and for water to run off the back instead of into the house.

As for building an extension, if so inclined, the four tubes that make up the magazine are aluminum with a 1/4" bolt about 1/2" long sticking out the bottom of them and they screw into the plate just above where the arm comes around. On top of that is a horseshoe shaped piece of flat steel with 4 holes and through these holes there are four allen head screws that attach to the top of the tubes to keep them aligned in somewhat of a square configuration. One could simply make longer poles out of whatever kind of material he or she chooses and replace the existing ones. The only problem however is making it too tall to allow targets to be loaded.

I have tried leaving one of the poles out of the magazine to permit loading from the side, however this machine does not have a counterbalance on the arm and so it shakes somewhat violently upon releasing a bird and usually disrupts the stack of targets if all four tubes aren't there for support.

Hope this helps,
Mr. Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.