Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering having a trap gun completly hard chromed. My question...Is there a downside/upside to having the rib chromed also or would it be preferable to leave the rib blued and the rest of the barrel chromed? The finish I'm considering is similar in appearance to stainless steel. Thanx for your interest.... Buck

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I had a company locally, A&A Engraving, satin chrome one of me Perazzi receivers, probably 10 years ago. It is beautiful, hardy, and shows absolutely zero wear. It's my favorite 27 yard gun and I shoot it most often.

A&A makes all the commemoratives you see on the inside cover of the American Rifleman. Mark Armstrong is a friend who does these occasionally for me. He is such a good friend and expert craftsman, that I hesitate to ask him to do more. I don't think Mark charged me a dime to have it done.

I would highly recommend the satin chrome versus the satin nickle... just because I have both on Perazzi receivers and the chrome never wears.

Initially A&A hesitated to do it; something about introducing disproportionate stress onto the receiver. I said let's try it, and it sure met with my satisfaction.

I've never done a barrel, and probably won't because if it does, in fact, introduce stress, this could affect barrel harmonics.

IMHO.

Whiz

·
Registered
309 Posts
Be aware that the hard chroming process will eat up solder if your rib is held on that way so i wouldnt do the barrel unless planning on resoldering the rib.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I will check with the plating shop I trade work with,

But those lead anodes last many years, so I wonder how the plating process will hurt a soft soldered rib.

If it is not a soft soldered rib, have the rib masked off, hard chrome the barrels,

then have the barrel run thru the bluing process.

The RPM XL single shoot target pistol, some of the custom ordered frames, that were hard chromed and then had all the markings done thru the chrome and then blued. the black against white look is wonderful!

AL

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
rib blued ask Big Az Al also.

Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.