Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys and Gales what do you use to remove plastic from the barrel bore? Things I have tried WD-40,CLP,Nitro solvent ,Gun Scruber All with pore results I use a brass brush and cleaning patches, evenutaly it com'es clean but what works for you. I usually clean every 100 to 200 shells.My barrels are K-80 brand It seems my Browning barrels come clean easier.Any good guess why?
PS I use Downrange Wads Clays power 18 grains

Jeff

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Acetone is an excellent solvent. If you mix in a little kerosene it is easier to work with and will not evaporate quickly. Also if you mix in a little light oil, such as transmission fluid, your barrel well be well protected for storage. I mix these components by eye and use about 50% acetone, 35% kerosene and 15% transmission fluid. The stuff does not require precise measurements and for about $10 you can make a five year supply of excellent gun cleaner fluid.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
No.. It's acetone in a pint or quart container. It will remove all the plastic in your barrel in the blink of an eye. I suspect that after 200 rounds it will hardly be noticeable. Jeff

·
Registered
177 Posts
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), which has an extra methylene group in its chemical structure compared to acteone, provides esentially equivalent solubility properties to acteone, but with a lower volatility. It's still readily available.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
DusterWads, and a enough powder for 9000 to 10000 psi. You are good to go. I clean my guns every 500 rounds. No plastic build up in 23 years. JMO

Wayne

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I use the Tornado as well for plastic build up. You would be amazed at how much stuff that brush breaks loose.---Matt

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
You would all be amazed at how you do not need a tornado if you just pass a patch with acetone! Jeff

·
Registered
229 Posts
Acetone, Lacquer Thinner and M.E.K. work very well on the plastic wad residue.
Like Pat stated above, if you use any type of light oil mixed in with any of the above mentioned, it will keep it soluble in the bore and you can brush it out and then swab it out. Ive used Kroil, mineral spirits, tranny fluid and light viscosity Mobile One synthetic and mixed the oil at about 25% oil to 75 solvent.
Works slicker than greased owl $hit.

·
Registered
519 Posts
MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) is very dangerous. You want to use it in an open area. The fumes can raise hell with your kidneys.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
MEK and all other organic solvents can produce dangerous fumes. They should be used with reasonable care but I would not consider them as something that produces a clear and eminent danger. I have even used Carbon Tetrachloride and Petroleum Ether to clean barrels. Using MEK and living in Western Nebraska is much safer than using Hoppes and living in a large city . It could be argued that it is much safer to not breath as you fill up your car with gasoline, but not breathing can have other consequences.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I just use Hoppes #9 on a used 12ga bore brush with some #0 steel wool raped around the brush. Dip it in the Hoppes and put the rod with the brush on it in a battery drill. Just a few passes and you are done. Nice and clean.
The more you used the same brush with the steel wool on it the better it work. The steel wool will work it's way in the brush and make it easy to get in the bore.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Eds Red, acetone, minersl spirits,kerosene, and Dextron III ATF. Mix equal parts and works great. The cleaning rod chucked in a drill of your choice is the topper. Makes short work of it. Jake

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I take a SS scouring pad and cut what I need to wrap around a bronze brush and put it on a drill. Spray a little PB Blaster (auto parts store) run it up and down. Take the chokes out and do them separately. You will need sun glasses to look down the barrel. I clean around every 300 - 400 rounds.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use Hoppe's for typical cleaning and Shooters Choice in the 4 oz bottle with a patch about every 1000 rnds. Summer, heat build up may require 000 steel wool wrapped around a copper bore brush.

I use a tornado brush to run my patches for all cleaning, so it cleans well and there's no direct metal contact. Perhaps that's why I rarely have build up.

JT

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.