Trapshooters Forum banner

Places to shoot in the Tampa Clearwater Bay area

1849 17
I’ll be traveling to Tampa Clearwater Bay area to visit family and was look for places to shoot.
Also any information on good gun stores in the area would be super helpful. I’m stationed over in Hawaii and would like to take advantage of my time while I’m in the mainland. Nobody carries sporting type shotguns in Hawaii making it very frustrating when you want to purchase a new shotgun.

Thanks
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
624 Posts
Silver Dollar Shooters Club is a good place to shoot trap and to get lunch. Check there website for "events" that sometimes close the course to walk in shooting.

Tampa Bay Sporting Clays is a nice place to shoot and they have a Olympic Trap setup if you wish to try that. A 5 stand. And a skeet range, You need to check their website for their schedule that they are open and to see if there are "events" that close some of the courses.

These are the only 2 places I shoot. Both are a good bit north of Clearwater. There is a Skyway or something like that range closer that you will need to find on the internet. Probably lots of others.

Naples is a pretty good haul from Clearwater but it would sure be worth it to go to Coles.

· Registered
13,490 Posts
Last I heard "Skyway" shooting club is steel shot only!!! You have Gulf Coast Clays by Marco Island to the south. Then the Sarasota shooting club to the south. Then Skyway by clearwater. Then the Silver dollar in Odessa, Fl. I'll mention the greek restaurant by the sponge docks is top notch there. Then another hour of so north of the SDollar club there is Robinson Ranch shooting club as well. For shotguns you have Coles fine shotguns about 90 minutes to the south. Or the Silver Dollar has a gun shop as well. Its run by Mike Batista. Not sure if I spelled it right. Mike is a vendor here on TS.com. So you can find him here or on the Silver Dollars own website. Coles fine guns has there own website as well. You can find a list of new and used guns on both. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff

· Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone that replied. I will definitely check out Silver Dollar since it looks to be the closest. I would love to make it to Cole’s but not sure if I will have time to make the drive looks to be about 146 miles from my mother’s house.

I’m guessing Cole’s is really the only place for the best selection of shotguns. Also thanks for all the food recommendations.

· Registered
3,102 Posts
The Dollar will begin their summer hours soon, (closed Mon and Tues), and Mike Battista is only there on Wed/Sat/Sun. I live 100 feet East of "Clearwater" and it takes me 20 minutes to get to the club.

Pat

· Premium Member
9 Posts
I live in Tampa
Fish Hawk Sporting clays is the closets decent venue for an afternoon of fun.
Then there is Tampa Bay Sporting clays in Land O Lakes
As far as Gun shops selling sporting guns, the best is probably Coles if you are looking to drop over $5k or and its a hike from Tampa - at least 90 minutes drive. As far as more local spots with more modest pricing for the regular folks (me):
1. Cracker Boys Outdoors - Pinellas Park
2. Bill Jacksons adventure store - Pinellas Park
3. Shoot Straight - several locations around Tampa Bay
4. Shooters World has a couple decent guerinis and Berettas all the time.

· Registered
13,490 Posts
Also any information on good gun stores in the area would be super helpful.
Good Target shotgun stores are few and far between over here as well. So plan on doing some driving if you are looking for a particular brand or model. Since you have not told us what your looking for. We are just guessing at places for you to go. I have not been in Mikes store is some time. I expect his selection is limited. Coles is a huge store and you can walk out with many different types of fine shotguns. On the other hand you can use the internet and go shopping. You can find whatever brand and make shotgun you want. Then have Mike at the Silver Dollar handle the FFL end of the deal and have the shotgun shipped to him. Now you have access to all 50 states with very reasonable shipping charges and FFL transfer fee's. You can even check out most of Coles shotguns on the internet as well. This will save you lots of driving around. Even more importantly it can save you valuable time while your here. Now you can spend more time turning clay targets into dust. Good Luck and Don't forget to break em all jeff

· Registered
65 Posts
Silver Dollar was out of 1 1/8 12g last we checked. I think the Southern Grand wiped them out.

Skyway Trap is smaller and nice a group of people but required steel shot as they are on/near wetlands. Its unfortunately about a buck a shot as a non-member for targets and shells.

Tampa Bay sporting clays has a bunker if you want to try that, along with Sporting Clays and Skeet.

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Fish Hawk has a lot of carts, they also have multiple courses. We usually shoot a course that is certainly walkable, the tournament course is quite a ways away, it might be closer if you walked it in the reverse direction.

Your age and the temperature might also be a factor, but they usually have plenty of cold water on the course.

Pat

· Registered
2 Posts
Fish Hawk has a lot of carts, they also have multiple courses. We usually shoot a course that is certainly walkable, the tournament course is quite a ways away, it might be closer if you walked it in the reverse direction.

Your age and the temperature might also be a factor, but they usually have plenty of cold water on the course.

Pat
Thanks. I just learned about Fishhawk thru this thread. It’s close to my future in-laws so I was thinking about checking it out. I don’t mind walking to get in some exercise but he’s almost 80 so that’s a different story. I usually walk at Tenoroc but use a cart at Tampa Bay. I just converted a jogging stroller into a gun cart so that would make walking a bit easier but I like my soon to be father-in-law so I’m not looking to kill him (or get in the dog house with my better half).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.