Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a "brand new" 40 year old RCBS Rock Chucker. My dad has had it since the mid 70s, but it's never been taken out of the box. It came with almost everything I need to start reloading brass.

What I am needing to know is what is a good "all around" powder I could use to reload? Or possibly 2 powders.

I am planning to reload:
9mm

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
When you say .45 it depends if it is a pistol like .45 ACP or a rifle like .45-70.

The .223 and the .270 are far different in case capacity and you will most likely find that each will have its own preference for a powder for best performance with the .270 going with a slower burning powder. A similar thing, but not as great, takes place between the .44 Magnum/.44 Special versus a .357.
Although you did not mention it, remember that a 38 Special can be used in a .357 Mag but not the reverse.

Your best bet is to look at several of the loading information pages available on the web from the various powder manufacturers and compare things on a basis of what you are trying to achieve, low recoil or high performance or accuracy or lower cost. Your bullet selection will also significantly influence your options as to which powder serves best in a particular cartridge/bullet combination. There is a reason why powder manufacturers have a wide variety of powders in their products..

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
If you load for shotgun, you may have some powder that is used for pistols as well. A visit to the powder maker's web-sits or one of their manuals would be a good start.

You have been given good information by the gentlemen above.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Varget for some rifle loads

HP 38 for some pistol loads

Metallic's are more picky than shotgun loads

Its not an easy pick one for all kind of set up

DGH

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Unique is not for rifle Reloading, just handgun and shotgun.

Reactions: MasterMason0719

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The only way to eat that elephant is one bite at a time. Pick one pistol caliber that you think you might want to start with and start there. At a minimum, the list of cartridges you listed will require 4 separate powders. This is not a deal buster because you will find that having a variety of powders on hand is part of the handloading hobby. The goal of the handloader is to produce the best possible load for the given cartridge/firearm they are working with. Now if that seems a bit too detailed or you really don't want to load much ammo then there is nothing at all wrong with just buying a box or two of factory loaded ammo as you need it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
You might find a pistol powder like Unique that will work for all the pistol load but it may not be the best for all of them. You also may find one rifle powder that would work for the rifle loads but it definitely would probably not be the best for each. Get a reloading book like Lyman or Speer or go to some powder websites like Alliant or Hodgdon and look at their loads for the calibers you are shooting.

If you are not used to pistol or rifle loading, beware and follow the loading manuals. A grain or two of powder may not mean a heck of a lot in some shotgun loads but it may make one heck of a lot of difference in a rifle or pistol load expecially if you are changing bullet weights. Don't think that it is OK to load a 240 grain 44 caliber bullet with the same load that you loaded 180 grain bullets with. If you do, you may wind up missing a hand or fingers or worse.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
4895 works fine in .223 and acceptably in the .270. Been there, done that. Varget is very similar, I don't even know why Hodgdon sells both products, as they both fill the same nitch.

UNIVERSAL Clays will work acceptably in the listed pistol calibers. A slower powder is needed for max performance with a .357 mag and .44 Mag. My favorite there is AA#9.
.45acp is a really forgiving cartridge. I have never found even a fringe load that would not shoot reliably and for the most part accurately.

There is a free interactive loading data site at:
Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Looks we are going to have a new powder hoarder!! You will want to experiment with different loads to see what shoots best out of your gun. With that said you will have to try several different powders to get the satisfaction you desire. Good luck and have fun reloading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts