Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Oklahoma and am going to bite the bullet on a pair of Pilla Outlaw x6. I just do sporting clays and would like to buy 3 lenses total. I don’t know what 3 to buy. In general I was planning on orange, lime/yellow and purple/red. I have not seen many people recommending the progressives. Which of these would you recommend.

orange:

yellow/green:

red/purple:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I apologize for the repeat of the max 45 pic. Thanks in advance for your advice. I wish I could try some on but there is not a dealer where I live.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ryan,

I am going to start this by saying everyone's eyes are different. We all see colors differently and we all need a varying degree of light to see the target correctly. Further, I dealt with Pilla directly and was able to exchange a lens if needed. Later I worked with LM lenses and they have been good to work with as well.

As far as lenses, the older I get the brighter the lens needs to be. I mainly shoot trap with varying backgrounds.
List in order of preferance

1. 60 CHCW,- Chromashift High Contract Watermelon works well on orange targets in medium and bright light
2. 55 PWC - Peach with Chromashift, make the orange target pop in medium light
3. 50 RHC - Red High Contrast, chromashift /Background Neutralizer
4. 70 PWC - same as the 55 PWC but much better for low light and even targets under the lights
5. 99 AR - Anti Reflective, clear

I have about 5 more but do not use them. I have the 45mx but only really liked it when I shoot at Tucson Trap and Skeet.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here is a link to Pilla’s website and ‘simulations’ for the lens colors in case you haven’t seen it

I agree, everyone sees colors differently. The Pilla high contrast work better for my eyes. I see the target clearly in the ‘high definition’ lens series, but I don’t seem to read the line as well. Just me maybe....
I’m 66 yo and gravitate to lighter lenses 70 rated or above. I do have a phased yellow and phased lime that I like very much and wear quite often, but the background you encounter the most may drive your needs for your ‘go to’ lens. YMMV
V/r
Maxey

PS - Bud Decot told me if you’re not squinting slightly, the lens is too dark.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Personally, my son and i shoot 3 lenses. The 92’s are better than the 99’s at night for us. Also great for late shootoffs. The 92’s are faint green. The orange 45’s are a great full sun lens. I wear them most. 67 cwn is purple family. Mostly i shoot the purple in sc dark woods/green. If i were to add an extra set it would be in a hvy brown family for really bright open skeet/trap, full sun blue skys. In that situation the dark orange is a lil too bright. I wear sunglasses 100% of the time and need the darker lens or i get a headache. This specific situation of needing the dark brown lens doesnt happen too often bc we practice mostly in the pm. I run into this need during all day tournaments. The brown tint has a calming affect and bird still pops. I prefer forks he likes wrap around legs. Strange bc young guys usually think forks are cooler. I have been happy with pilla. Shot re falcons for years.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
For my eyes;
I find orange is the best for slight overcast/sun at your back kind of days and to really make the clays pop.
I find the more reds to best for really sunny days where you might be getting some sun on your face.
I find the lighter greens to be best for me in low light for all backgrounds.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Also I want to shout out the progressive's are a more recent offering, may be why you don't see them often.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,245 Posts
I got 20CN, 45CMAX, 67CWN and 92CL.

I like them all, but the more I use them, the more I like more light (67). The purples are a result of mostly sky and green backgrounds.

YMMV

·
Registered
288 Posts
I typically shooot against trees and sky background and I like the purple lens so I typically run 20cn 40cn and 67cwn

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've started shooting more in the progressives and having some better luck especially during twilight times! The CPN, PG, and CPC are my go to

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have six different colors. Three of them are the progressive. I really like the progressives and probably wear them 90% of the time. I am also "color deficient" (aka color blind). The "red's" really work the best for me. I just recently got the PC (progressive cherry) and love them. Since I got mine, three of my friends have also bought them.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Look at the pilla website and study your choices. There is a description of each lens and a lens simulator that demonstrates the lens effect on a target against different backgrounds. I agree that you want a lens for full sun, clouds, and gray/ dusk . Low numbers are full sun (10 to 30). Get some ideas. Now borrow friends lenses and shoot if you can or, at least, look at targets through as many as you can. Find out do you like a red, yellow, orange, purple or green tint. Some websites, like Texas shooters optical or LM may allow you to try lenses. Ask a lot of questions and call the experts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all of the feedback. For those that like the progressives, what is it about the progressive lens you like compared to a conventional lens ?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I only have 1 progressive lens, the Progressive Dragon Fruit (PDF) it sees quite a bit of use. It's medium light, when sun is at my back, overcast or as the sun is rising or setting.
I like more light at the bottom of the lens as I feel like I see the "streak" of the clay leaving the house better than if the entire lens is darker.
It might be real, could be placebo, but I really feel like target acquisition is a hair faster with them on.
My next lens is likely the PED2 because sometimes the sun can get really brutal here in the Central Valley of California.
For high sunlight now I am using a 18CED if there's glare and a 26ED if no glare.

I want to give the PC's (progressive cherry) a try as my eyes tend to like the more red colors.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I find the lens simulations on pillas site deceptive. Currently I use 18, 30, and 50 ced. I have a 24cmx I hate.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts