Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Nice! BTW, did you shoot the nice buck that you posted pics of or pass til next season? That was one heck of a nice deer...where I'm at he would be a Super wallhanger!
Stay well,
Puablo

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
No wild hogs in my area.
Are they as good to eat as a farm raised one?
I would assume they have a totally different taste?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
No wild hogs in my area.
Are they as good to eat as a farm raised one?
I would assume they have a totally different taste?
It depends on a lot of factors. What they eat, their age, whether it's a mature boar or a younger sow.

I've had quite a bit in my life in my younger days, as they are thicker than flies on a dead dog here in FL, and some of it can be good.

Some of it would make a buzzard puke, particularly if it was a mature boar hog.

A lot of guys grind them up into sausage, but I've smoked a lot of hams and fried up some loins in my time.

They can be bad about carrying diseases, and it is recommended that you wear rubber gloves while field dressing.

They are not considered a game animal here. They are considered an invasive species, and you can't believe how much damage they can do when they are rooting for food unless you have seen it with your own eyes. Most guys I hang with just shoot them and leave them for the buzzards after dragging them away from their tree stands where they are deer hunting.

In certain areas in my hometown, they come into peoples yards at night and totally destroy their yards. They are hell on farmers crops too.

I know that may sound like a waste just killing and animal and leaving it lay, but the damn things are out of control in the area I'm talking about, and believe it or not, the wildlife officials want you to kill every one you see!

Once they get established in an area, it's impossible to get rid of them. Trust me when I say they are a pest.

BTW, I don't eat it anymore. If I want some pork, I'll just go to the store and buy it. It's one heck of a lot easier and you don't get a nasty piece of meat.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
We have them in parts of my state but none I’m aware of in central KY.
See them hunted a lot on TV and didn’t know what they did with them afterwards.
Buzzards got to eat too.

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
They are not considered a game animal here. They are considered an invasive species, and you can't believe how much damage they can do when they are rooting for food unless you have seen it with your own eyes. Most guys I hang with just shoot them and leave them for the buzzards after dragging them away from their tree stands where they are deer hunting.

In certain areas in my hometown, they come into peoples yards at night and totally destroy their yards. They are hell on farmers crops too.
When I left NY as a very young man I bought some acreage in California & had some concerns about water erosion, speaking about this with the much older owner of a local feed store. The old man told me this & it has always stuck in my mind. He said "Son there's nothing on earth more powerful than water ceptin maybe a pigs nose." I later came to understanding of this.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
They are getting thick around here in North Central Oklahoma. Last year in February the Dept. Of Wildlife had a couple of helicopters fly some ranches that had lots of hogs. They killed over 300 in 2 days. We have some land that's about a 1 1/2 hours south of us and it's brushy with some deep canyons in it. My brother shot 2 of the biggest pigs I have seen in awhile down there on that ranch. Makes you think twice about messing around after dark. Couple times a year we will jump a litter while horseback. It gets kinda silly seeing who can catch a little piglet and get it up on their horse without getting dumped.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
They are getting thick around here in North Central Oklahoma. Last year in February the Dept. Of Wildlife had a couple of helicopters fly some ranches that had lots of hogs. They killed over 300 in 2 days. We have some land that's about a 1 1/2 hours south of us and it's brushy with some deep canyons in it. My brother shot 2 of the biggest pigs I have seen in awhile down there on that ranch. Makes you think twice about messing around after dark. Couple times a year we will jump a litter while horseback. It gets kinda silly seeing who can catch a little piglet and get it up on their horse without getting dumped.

Wow. Thanks Murph. Dick. After 1st picture Im like "ya I wanna go get me some hogs" and after picture 2 I'm like "awww I wanna give the Lil piggy a ride on the horsey".

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,763 Posts
Those top 2 got some cutters on them.

i got both of them within a couple minutes of each other..... jumped them out of a briar gully. .340 Weatherby. The bottom one was taken at less than 50 yards with a .338 Win Mag. He ran a full circle spraying blood out his far side and stopped almost where I shot him. Not enough fat on wild hogs to make bacon, but sausage and loins are great.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,763 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,909 Posts
Dang, I've fished around Berwick & Rickett's Glen - no idea there were pigs in the area - let alone ones that big...

Thanks.

Reactions: Jaburg1
1 - 20 of 20 Posts