Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flash gave the photos a gold tone to primers. They are Winchester. On 2nd photo notice tin color at the pierce. Primer in that area has bronze color as you would expect from a Winchester but under it is that tin color? These primers were purchased in 2021

· Premium Member
5,253 Posts
Disregarding the color in the photos, those pics really do not look like a Win primer, new or older. Much more like a Rem STS.
I'm looking at the primer in my once fired Win hulls and unfired Win primers and I don't see how the outer cup could resemble, and the inner cup could contort to looking like that after firing.
The outer cup flange with a Win is flatter and wider than a Rem. The pics show anything but that.

On a side note, if a KX6 Special can pound a primer that hard, they have one helluva ignition system.

· Premium Member
5,253 Posts
we had a brand new sts that the center of the primer was gone when we opened the gun remington has got to get their sxxx together or federal will disown them

Had a similar experience. Bought 4 flats of Fed HOA shells at the 2022 Grand, intending to use them in the HDCP events. Wasn't long before I noticed that some inner cups along with the primer anvils were laying in my receiver after the shells were extracted. Not ejected but extracted. I took pictures and kept examples.
There's more to this but that's enough for now.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed. I’ve shot many cheddites in this gun. No problems. These are actually Winchester primers. That’s why I posted. It’s unusual to see a Winchester with the problem. Wonder if Winchester let some 2nds out of the plant. I no longer have the pierced primers to take another photo to show true color. Macro photo with flash shows gold tone but they are Winchester

· Registered
168 Posts
Your firing pins probably look like the surface of the moon from piercing cheddites on occasion (my blaser pierces maybe 1 or 2 in 50). The sharp irregular surface now pierces other brands as well as cheddites more often. Take em out, polish em up with a stone and you'll be good to go.

· Registered
13,503 Posts
It doesn’t look like a Winchester primer?
Looks more like a Remington primer to me!!!

Every Winchester primer I used had a chrome looking exterior ring around the outer rim. With a copper/Brass color interior color. Your primers look like they are copper colored for the exterior and interior. This is normal for a Remington primer. You can tell the color difference on the interior color of factory primers vs. the primers that Winchester sells to the public as well. The factory primers have a darker coppered center.
All 3 of your pictures look like the outer ring is copper in color.

Either way, you should contact Krieghoff and have them shorten your existing firing pin for you. You may be charged for the service? Or you can just wait a year or so, and have your annual service done when you firing pin is fairly pitted. The choice is up to you. break em all Jeff

· Premium Member
8,103 Posts
Looks more like a Remington primer to me!!!

Every Winchester primer I used had a chrome looking exterior ring around the outer rim. With a copper/Brass color interior color. Your primers look like they are copper colored for the exterior and interior. This is normal for a Remington primer. You can tell the color difference on the interior color of factory primers vs. the primers that Winchester sells to the public as well. The factory primers have a darker coppered center.
All 3 of your pictures look like the outer ring is copper in color.

Either way, you should contact Krieghoff and have them shorten your existing firing pin for you. You may be charged for the service? Or you can just wait a year or so, and have your annual service done when you firing pin is fairly pitted. The choice is up to you. break em all Jeff
Read post 4, he says the flash gave them the gold color.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts