Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not ATA or PITA shooting, but on a practice trap.

How many of your clubs allow new shooters to carry a box of shells to the line, on a practice trap, and pick them out of the box placed at their feet?
I'm not talking about the empties?

Is this an acceptable practice for new shooters?

Thank you,

Ajax

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Well I would guess if they have no means of holding the box. I've seen it. No big deal. I'll wait to shoot.

Brady

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Have seen this at more than one place. Sounds exhausting to bend over 25 times just to shoot a round! Most places have free pouches for anyone to use.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
a practice trap..

Dang I would just go grab my pouch and belt and loan it,, I usually wear a vest anyways,,

Help a new shooter out and make them feel welcome

Doug

·
Registered
132 Posts
I strongly agree with dgh.. You never know, maybe he or she may become a new member of the club.. Then maybe they will help someone else out who's just beginning. And they will become a member. I thought that's what clubs were all about.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
We have loaner shell pouches, that we offer. Usually, what I see are new shooters taking 5 out of the box at a time and putting them in a pocket, then moving the box to the next station with them. As long as the gun is pointed in a safe direction, I don't have a safety issue with it. Mark

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Sure I`ve seen them do it.And over the span of 40 plus years I`ve given away over 20 shell bags.And made a lot of new friends.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I usually have 3 extra shell bags in my truck, it's part of making people feel welcome at our small club. I also have an old 870 anyone can borrow. Our club has done very well in tough times by treating people as welcome guests. I would much rather loan out a shell bag than have to keep my eye on someone bending down 25 times for a shell. Roger

·
Registered
159 Posts
IF THEY ARE WEARING A BELT THEY CAN TUCK THE TOP FLAP OF THE BOX AROUND AND UNDER THE BELT AND THE FULL BOX WILL HANG THERE JUST LIKE A ONE BOX SHELL HOLDER AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO BEND OVER OR UP AND DOWN. RON CRAM

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
No rules against it at our range but like the others have said, someone will step up and offer a box carrier or vest to the person in need of one. Its one of those easy things we can do to help the newer shooters have a better time at the range. I keep a couple extra box carriers in my range bag for just such a thing.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Anyone here remember when a Post WAS a Post? There used to be a metal bar stuck in the ground at each shooting station. The top of the bar had a flat shelf just about the the size of a box of shells. You could put the shells on the post and not have to worry about picking them up or having a pouch, vest or apron.

They were still in use at the club where I first watched trapshooting before I could even actually try trapshooting and were gone a few years later.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
We used to have a summer league team that all 5 of them picked their shells out of the box at their feet. One of the guys would even squat and take a drag off of his cigarette while he was "reloading". They also preferred old-style pulling and scoring, even though we have wireless Canterburys. Fortunately, no other team followed their "lead".

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
TUCK THE BOX FLAP UNDER THEIR BELT???(Sorry about the shouting). We are talking about trap shooters aren't we? How are they going to find the box after its tucked into the belt they have on their pants? Once they let go of everything they have to lift up to get to their belt the box isn't going to be accessible.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Clubs complain about not being able to get New shooters.
Here's a perfectly good cheap way to encourage them to come back.
My son wanted to try shooting some trap so one day I took him.
I didn't even think about a shell.pouch. Anyway after him shooting
A round an older gentleman at the club came up and handed him a used but nice one.
I told him we apreciated it but I just forgot to bring him one he'd be okay.
He asked him did he enjoy shooting trap my son said he did! He said to me he enjoyed seeing
Kids taking shooting up and would consider it an honor if my son. Would take the pouch as a gift
12 years later my son still uses that pouch. Gene is not around anymore but will always be remembered.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts