Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
scored a 12ga sizemaster for $75 over the weekend! Planning to reload trap shells, it didn't come with a book or any bushings. Numbers on the end of the bar are "302
118" will this work for loading #7-8 shot?

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
NO. Its for 1&1/8 oz. loads. You will need a 302 o78 bar or an adjustable bar. Some people love them and others hate them. I was happy to have an adj. bar when powder was hard to get. It saves a lot of time & money changing bushings everytime I changed powder.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I think he's asking if it can load shot sizes #7 & #8 instead of 7/8 oz loads. At least that was my interpretation. Definitely the post needs to be clarified before a proper answer can be given.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he's asking if it can load shot sizes #7 & #8 instead of 7/8 oz loads. At least that was my interpretation. Definitely the post needs to be clarified before a proper answer can be given.
I was planning to use shot size 7 7.5 or 8 I'm ok with 1 1/8 oz loads

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
You need to first get a scale, either balance beam or electronic. Never not never trust what a bushing is suppose to drop! Next get a Reloading Manual. One I believe covers Mec single stage and I will look when I get to the house. Choose a powder that's available in your local. Then purchase necessary components for assembly.

Now I'm going to try and give you a good piece of advice. Wherever you purchase your components, if the clerk/owner/attendant makes any statements such as :

Oh it doesn't matter

Oh that's close enough

Ah, that should probably work

Immediately vacate the premises and find you a knowledgeable dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The latest Lyman Shotshell manual is a great place to start. 302 bars are for the single stage machines like yours, 502's are for progressives.

·
5,043 Posts
An auto primer feed is nice, once you've got the machine set and you're good to go... borrow what you can from others who are willing mentors to your loading activities.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cleaning off the machine this morning one of the bottles is pretty brittle and has a crack in it Planning to replace both, The manual shows a tall and short bottle... does it matter which size I use?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good for supporting small bottles filled with shot, but not required. Make sure your shot bottle and its threaded neck are in good condition, and always support the shot bottle and / or fully remove it whenever you tilt it to or from vertical for any reason.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts