Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a chance to get my hands on some reclaimed primers and shot out of new Federal shells. Has anybody used any of these primers for your reloading?
Thanks,
Rich

Was able to reach out to the dismantle company that has the contract with Federal. They get all of their culls and dismantle. Said all current run Federal shotgun shells use 209A primers. Here's a pic of what they sell. Will follow up after I load a few. Shot looks great too.
Thanks,

Rich
IMG_5087.jpg

·
Registered
14,123 Posts
The problem is you may not know what you're getting.

Federal makes at least 5-6 primers, all of which are at least cosmetically different. I think it would be fairly safe to assume that they don't make them cosmetically different just because they want to use pretty colors, and the color combo may correlate to different power/hotness levels. I've seen brass ring/brass cup, silver ring/brass cup, silver ring/copper cup, silver ring/silver cup, silver ring/black cup, and copper ring/brass cup.

And I'm not sure ANY of the primers used by Federal in factory shells would be the same as what is available for reloaders, meaning you don't really know if the pressure and velocity of any given reloading recipe will be correct.

One thought would be to contact Federal and ask, but it may be proprietary info they won't give out. A tangential question would be is the reloading 209A primer the hottest they make, meaning all of the factory primers are the same or weaker, and safe to substitute.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have used plenty of their shot with no issues, and have several more bags in the stash. Have not seen reclaimed primers available.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I bought around 8000 of them in the d-milled cases and had to take the primers out of the cases.
Most of the cases were cut off at the top of the powder line and still had powder in them, along with part of the plastic wads.
All the primers resembled Fed 209A. Some had different color paper covering the flash holes.
The powder was a mixture and fed to the plants.
I keep my pressure of my loads around 9000 psi.
Out of all of them I had about 25 no fires.

I called the company I bought them from and they do not handle them anymore.
That's a shame, I would have bought a barrel full this time!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I purchased 2 boxes (2,000 primers). They looked good in the box, but when I dumped them into the loading try I found a lot of powder residue still on the primers. Required extra sorting and sifting to keep the residue from getting into the primer track.
I am in no hurry to purchase more of them.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I bought mine from American Reloader. As I said they don't handle them anymore.
I don't know who has them now? Maybe the OP will tell us?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts