Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm certainly not suggesting any actual shooting techniques, nor do I want to start a food fight based on the following; it's just an interesting academic question that came up when setting tgts using an inclinometer on the plate of a Pat trap. For singles if the plate is set at ~ 22 degrees and the spring is cranked to throw at 44 - 45 mph (low powered radar in the trap house) the tgt goes through the hoop at 9.5' 30' from the house and travels to the 50 yd. stake. In trying to validate the 22 degree angle; using a rt. triangle with a base of 30' and a height of 9.5' produces a hypotenuse (dist. from trap to the hoop) of 31.4682'. Then the cos of the angle off the trap is.953288. Interpolating from the trig tables gives an angle of ~ 17.5 degrees. The only conclusion I can draw then is that the tgt begins to lose velocity and immediately drop below a straight line from the trap to the hoop; therefore the flight path from the trap to the hoop in nonlinear. Any physics gurus welcome to weigh in !

~

·
Registered
517 Posts
Friction and gravity act on that target the minute it leaves the trap. Every thrown object begins a parabolic path the minute it is free from the initial force. So yes it is not linear.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
I'm certainly not suggesting any actual shooting techniques, nor do I want to start a food fight based on the following; it's just an interesting academic question that came up when setting t
gts using an inclinometer on the plate of a Pat trap. For singles if the plate is set at ~ 22 degrees and the spring is cranked to throw at 44 - 45 mph (low powered radar in the trap house) the tgt goes through the hoop at 9.5' 30' from the house and travels to the 50 yd. stake. In trying to validate the 22 degree angle; using a rt. triangle with a base of 30' and a height of 9.5' produces a hypotenuse (dist. from trap to the hoop) of 31.4682'. Then the cos of the angle off the trap is.953288. Interpolating from the trig tables gives an angle of ~ 17.5 degrees. The only conclusion I can draw then is that the tgt begins to lose velocity and immediately drop below a straight line from the trap to the hoop; therefore the flight path from the trap to the hoop in nonlinear. Any physics gurus welcome to weigh in !

~
Just a heads up, there are NO hoops in trap, only T bars.
Skeet utilizes hoops for setting targets.
MG

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
I suppose a hoop would work.

A two foot hoop centered at 9 feet...
And just how can you know the height, if you attempt to set it with a 2' hoop?
If your 9' in the center your 8' and 10' at the high and low. What will this accomplish?
MG

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I'm certainly not suggesting any actual shooting techniques, nor do I want to start a food fight based on the following; it's just an interesting academic question that came up when setting tgts using an inclinometer on the plate of a Pat trap. For singles if the plate is set at ~ 22 degrees and the spring is cranked to throw at 44 - 45 mph (low powered radar in the trap house) the tgt goes through the hoop at 9.5' 30' from the house and travels to the 50 yd. stake. In trying to validate the 22 degree angle; using a rt. triangle with a base of 30' and a height of 9.5' produces a hypotenuse (dist. from trap to the hoop) of 31.4682'. Then the cos of the angle off the trap is.953288. Interpolating from the trig tables gives an angle of ~ 17.5 degrees. The only conclusion I can draw then is that the tgt begins to lose velocity and immediately drop below a straight line from the trap to the hoop; therefore the flight path from the trap to the hoop in nonlinear. Any physics gurus welcome to weigh in !

~
Isn’t this really just trying to reinvent the wheel?

Jon Reitz

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
MG, it would get their targets within the ‘recommended’ limits...

You and I both know that a T-bar is easier and more accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
8C838043-295E-4938-96DA-3D3AD423580E.jpeg
Whoops - That was the doubles settings I took a picture of a few minutes ago.
Here is the singles/handicap target setting specs...

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
View attachment 1706393 Whoops - That was the doubles settings I took a picture of a few minutes ago.
Here is the singles/handicap target setting specs...
Come on, I know exactly what the rule book states. No one with a clue, would ever set an 8' target unless you were shooting into a 40 mph wind.
9 1/2' is usually perfect 90% of the time.
10' and under 9' are normally quite poor unless shooting in extremely windy conditions.
MG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts