Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, I'll start off with two-word descriptions.

Ben Avery CTC: World Class

Rio Salado SC: Hidden Jewel

I was in Phx on business for a few days, and had some downtime. It would have been rude of me not to put it to good use, and luckily I packed my shotgun :)

I met up with my old friend John Greenwell (local shotgun instructor) at Ben Avery. To say they're making improvements would be an understatement. The second course (Road Runner) is now permanent. But the really big news is work has already begun on the new clubhouse. They've poured the foundation, and will begin construction soon.

The targets were still set from last week's Copper State Classic, and I really enjoyed them. I'm sorry I missed it.

When you add in the fact that it's 45 minutes north of the Phx airport, and that Phx has world-class dinning, shopping, resorts, and golf courses, I'm amazed they haven't held a U.S. Open here yet.

If you're in town at Ben Avery and you don't shoot Rio Salado you're cheating yourself out of one of Arizona's hidden jewels.

Rio is 40 minutes east of the Phx airport in Mesa, off the 202 & Power. When I lived in AZ there was no 202, and it took hours to get there from my house, even with cutting across "The Res".

They now have 12 stations with four machines each. One pair is "mild" and the other pair is "spicy". The real beauty of Rio is the beauty of the desert. The terrain is amazing. I enjoyed the targets, and station 12 has a 50-60 yard crosser that took me "a while" to find.

Enjoy the pictures:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24512397

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24512398

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about Rio, but Ben Avery has so many trap shooters they're putting in a second trap line.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
racer, please--we don't need any more publicity;) Hopefuly I'll be able to spend more time here next winter. Arizona is a GREAT STATE, especially when you're from the east like me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No pictures but there are three great bowling alleys in Salt Lake City. Well maintained, very clean and I believe their prices are very competitive. If your a bowler who likes traveling, I would suggest giving Salt Lake City a try.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ben Avery is part of the winter chain,ATA moves from their to Casagrande to Tucson,I beleive on a ten day rotation. I will be their next week, Casagrande is my club of choice Tiger and hubby are first rate. I am a member of Reosaldo, dont think they go ATA. only 1 trap field is card operated. Good shooting Fred.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
More inducements to visit AZ :) None of the pics are mine BTW.

"Winter" on the Four Peaks

Winter sunrise, Homolovi State Park, Winslow

Spring

Summer Monsoon storm over the Superstitions

Near Casa Grande

After the storm near Sedona

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Pretty pictures Drew of a great state. Ever make the ride from Rte. 87 through 4 Peaks to Roosevelt Lake? Lots of things to do and see here.

Edit: Yes WPT, the Apache Trail is a great venue. I don't remember the name of the road off to the right towards the lake end, but it's right up there with Fishkill corner :) It goes up to a trailhead where you can hike in to what used to be a farm with apple orchards. It's not a day trip.

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
Bob,

Take Apache Trail up to Roosevelt Lake if you want to see some parts of Arizona that are spectacular ... I never go with an empty holster just in case because the wild life is abundant and you just never know, you know ..? There are a few places that are not for the faint at heart, but a pleasurable ride none the less ... Take a camera, you will see things that are purely wonders of nature ... The last time I went it was not paved for about 35 miles the other side of Gold Field, so pick some good weather ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
>>What is the big concrete slab for at Ben Avery??

But the really big news is work has already begun on the new clubhouse. They've poured the foundation, and will begin construction soon.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
In the interest of full disclosure

Altar Valley, 30 miles southwest of Tucson, which includes the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge.

Haboob (dust storm) approaching the city

Our first summer here, we were on the 101 driving to a Weds. evening church service and the car thermometer said 118 - BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Phx area has two high seasons for hotel rooms. The first weekend in Feb is always The Phoenix Open (and next year's Super Bowl). The other is all of March, it's Spring Training Baseball.

I'm already booked for next year's Super Bowl.

I don't go to Phx to shoot Sporting Clays, I go for the food. Pizza and wings at Ray's Pizza on 35 Ave & Union Hills, ribs and steaks at Don & Charlie's on Camelback and Miller (in Scottsdale), and NY deli food at Chompies on Cactus & Tatum (in PV Mall).

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Drew, thanks for posting the real pictures and not just the chamber of commerce pictures. LOL 30 years ago I did a lot of traveling and made mental notes of places I might want to retire to. Tucson was one of those. Now the image I have of Tucson is gangs and ghettoes. You need to post a photo of MS13, The Bloods, Mexican Mafia, The Krypts............. LOL

Maybe I'm just a bitter old man, but I sure hope I don't live much longer, just to save myself the heart ache of watching this country fall further into the abyss. Every place is a hell hole in my opinion now. Wish I could change, but that is the way I feel and think.

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
Bisi,
Those are the good things about living in Arizona, you obviously have first hand experience ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts