Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I can't contain myself and I wanted to share a recent experience I have had in the last week. I sent my Alfermann to Phil Simms in Glade Park Colorado. I followed my gun to his shop just last Thursday before the snow hit Friday night. What an experience. The drive thru Colorado's National Monument to get to Glade Park, elevation 7000 feet, was spectacular! I took a lot of pictures but only included just a couple.
juantoomany_2009_16013.jpg

Going thru the tunnel drilled thru the Mesa was way cool!
juantoomany_2009_16014.jpg

I got there Thursday afternoon and Phil went right to work with me after the meet and greet!...He watched how I shot my Alfermann at the patterning board first..I told him where I thought my gun shot. Phil watched, listened to my comments and after a few shots validated the POI. We went to his trap range where I began to shoot targets..(Shoot at targets if you get my drift). Phil is a trap shooter...a 27 yard shooter...so it was easy for him to de-cypher my cryptic trap speak into language and eventually into actual measurements that turned a piece of Claro walnut into this..
juantoomany_2009_1601.jpg

Here's the other side with some clear tape on it to keep the oil from my face from staining the unfinished wood.

Heres the other side..
juantoomany_2009_16011.jpg

juantoomany_2009_16011.jpg

At this point we went back to the trap field to shoot with the stock as you see it....and the smashing of the targets began....the first time I shouldered the gun I really thought I was going to soil myself!!! WOW...this is what a custom fitted stock feels like! NO recoil!...My face in the same spot every time I mount the gun. I was not pulling a way from the stock on those peskey angles. I stayed in and on the gun and watched the target break!!! It was snowing, it was cold ...I didn't care. I smashed targets....from all over the place I was without words!...the rest is history...

Turns out, at the end of the day Phil and I knew a few of the same folks and we shared a couple of stories. Wow, just shows a person how small the world is. I learned a lot those few days and made myself new fried.(Coffee is going out this week) Folks do yourself a favor, give Phil a call..He is the BEST! It just may be the meds the doctor ordered and pull you out of that slump.

Can't wait to get the Alfermann back

Thanks Phil.....

Dave

·
Administrator
8,515 Posts
Kudos to PHil, he helped me alot on a couple of stocks and I enjoyed working with him alot.I appreciated his direct approach and willingness to take your ideas and put them to a piece of wood.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a note, at one time or another I have used all the tricks of the trade mostly tricks. The comments above are just a drop in the big picture. I break 100 straights easier than I ever have, staying in the gun and the reduced recoil is what trapshooting is about. I have known Phil for many years and it is not by accident his product works. Do not forget there are a few people that make it happen also and that is his son Nate and good friend Bob Murray. A big thanks to all of the above you guys do excellent and professional work. Terry Bilbey

·
Registered
226 Posts
Love my Phil Simms stock! Fits perfect, 0 recoil, and the gun recoils straight back. When I shoot the gun looks like it doesnt move. If I ever need another stock built, I'm going to Phil.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Setterman

I'm 6'4"...long arms...no neck...but like to hold my head strait up...fits, shoots perfect....the rest is up to me....

·
Registered
53 Posts
My son got fitted for his stock at the Missouri Fall Handicap. He can hardly wait to get it and shoot. We hope it will be done before Christmas. Great person to deal with. Jay

·
Registered
809 Posts
I had Phil make stocks for both my Seitz guns, single & O/U. I get complements where ever I go. I needed to tweak them a little, as I lost a little weight, so I met up with him at the Indiana State shoot. He was working with Eddie Longwoods stock setup, ( as Eddie was working with Nate on his doubles). Phil got me dialed in quickly. I should have called him sooner, instead of being hardheaded & trying to set it up myself. A quick look at my form & setup, a twist of an allen wrench, & I haven't shot better. I'm really looking forward to this coming season.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Phil has done several sets for me, always excellent. I will be listing this weekend a mint wide frame 682 w/ a Simms exhibition grade fiddleback maple set w/ New American dimensions. Beautiful gun.
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Phil is a long time friend. His work and knowledge of the shooting sports insure that he can help almost everyone with one, or more, of his masterpieces.

He has built five stocks for me ( three guns ) in the last seven years. Whenever I want a new stock for one of my guns or a friends gun, he is the only person I call.

I am sure you will agree that his workmanship is spectacular, just look at some of the pictures on above posts. But it is more than that. He stocks guns to shoot where you break targets the best.

Call ProSoft in Glade Park, Colorado @ 1-970-523-9566, talk to either Phil or his son Nate.

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Tom for the nice post and to all our friends posted here! Tom forgot the prefix (970) 523-9566 We will be in the shop Monday after 10 am mountain time trying to get caught up!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Nate & Phil Simms Prosoft Recoil Systems

·
Registered
809 Posts
Phil, I know Eddie got Nate squared away on his doubles. How is his new stock treating him? I haven't seen him since Indy. I used to run into him around the holidays, as his sister lives near Pgh. I never saw his stock when it was finished.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Phil has built 3 stocks for my guns, last one a ProSoft. I love my stocks he's made for me and wouldn't want to go with anyone else making me another at all!

Next one he builds for me is gonna be a heavyweight ProSoft for even less felt recoil!! I can't wait for that one either!!

Gene Hapney

1 - 20 of 45 Posts