Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freedom of speech has nothing to do with Phil Robertson's situation. A&E made a financial decision , apparently thinking it was better for them to suspend Phil than subject themselves to an expected loss of future revenue. Phil can say anything he wants but if his boss thinks it bad for the revenue stream, he is subject to dismissal.
As an example, you may want to use say some inappropriate and outrageous to your boss's best customer, while he is present, and see how he reacts. Or not. It is simply capitalism maximizing expected future revenue.

Steve Schwab

·
Registered
12,434 Posts
I have to say, even FOX News got this wrong, and anyone else who thinks this is not about Free Speech, they're WRONG!!

Just like tracking a game animal, FOLLOW the TRAIL !!

A&E responded to a minority group and a very small one at that over their hurt feelings over "Questions" asked and answered by a person who wouldn't lie to the person asking the questions!.

Society has getting so in tune with LIE'S and Lairs that when a person speaks the truth it makes them angry!!

What Phil is a victim of is just that, speaking the TRUTH

Besides, the Constitution, Civil Rights and Capitalism are the LAST things the left/democrats/communist want to Protect!!

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
What a stupid remark. DD stuff all over the country being sold, people all watching, this show has had the most remarkable growth of anything I have seen since the Hula Hoop.

Schwabby, go back under your rock and get a cable hookup.

HM

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Only Liberals can speak their minds without fear of being labeled! It is my hope the Robertsons take their show to another venue. I for one feel his answers were spot on. If disagreement is your view, so be it. Get over it. Jake

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
If this minority group can intimidate a network....if they get away with it...it will be repeated time and again and a few will push the majority into any corner they want to. It is about free speech...say anything you want as long as it agrees with our view. This has to stop. That network agrees with the queers, ****** or whatever they want to call themselves this week. Its their highest rated show and biggest cash cow. If one or two sponsors dropped out...others would be standing in line to buy ads. Controversy garners interest...therefore higher ratings and they can raise the price of their ads. ed

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
The Robertsons can win this easily. Public outcry will force the network to rehire Phil. (or) If they are in an iron clad contract and can't quit all they have to do is say the same thing in essence that Phil did. They will be asked by other news media what their position is and if the answer is the same, the network has to fire them all and they can then be out of the contract. If they don,t fire them all then I believe Phil would have a case for selective discrimination. I see this as a win-win for the Robertsons. If Phil is rehired it slaps the gay rights group in the face. ed

·
Registered
14,688 Posts
53% of the US population claims to have religeous beliefs (ABC poll prior to the elections). Less than 10% of the population is gay. No one knows how many of the 10% also belong to the 53%, but to most of that 53%, the gay issue is about morals and ethics. The religeous base is concerned about sacrificing morals and ethics for tolerance and diversity. Especially when there are no proven medical facts the support gay or lesbian tendancies are not generated by choice.

Actually, how does it affect DD? Never met a gay or ***** duck hunter!

So, this entire exercise is about P.C., and the exec's at A/E being worried about how they are viewed in the entertainment society, which seldom worries about morals or ethics.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Setterman...I think you are spot on...on everything you said but I hope that A&E has got their bloomers or panties caught in the wringer and I think they have. ed

·
Registered
850 Posts
Heard Robertson speak at the university my daughter attends and he does not mince words, in fact his message at times can be rather harsh. I would like to think the the old man will not back away from his statements in the GQ interview. It will be interesting to see what master the Robertsons serve.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I don't see a victim here at all. Robertson got massive exposure on his thoughts, way more than a typical interview would generate. His fan base will grow to even greater levels and the TV program will continue and probably be more popular than ever. Not bad for a scruffy duck hunter from the swap.

It's not like anyone is suprised that he feels this way about 'alternative lifestyles'. The problem was he used beastiality and homosexuality in the same sentence and thus linked the two behaviors. So he gets a penalty for that mistake - big deal he is going to come out ahead no matter how this plays out.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
wolfram is right there is no victim here. Robertson was fine before Duck Dynasty and he will be fine without Duck Dynasty. I would say A&E needs him more than he needs them.

Darr

·
0 Posts
A&E should have issued statement's on social media stating that the views expressed by Phil Robertson in the GQ magazine interview are the views of Phil Robertson and do not reflect the view of A&E. End of story.

And since that isn't how it was handled, I predict you are about to see heads roll in the A&E board room.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
wolfram...beastiality is an alternative lifestyle. I never watched much of the program but I agree with what he said and his freedom of speech to say it. I also agree that A&E had a right to fire him. Problem is they picked the wrong side and I think by the support for Phil they already know it. They'll settle. If they don't....oh well..they made their choice. ed

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
There was no link, either to terrorism or to bestiality.l

Phil recited a list of things after being asked what he thought was sinful.

The stupid moron mindless pukes think they can spin it their way.

Sorry, pukes, I think you lose this one.

HM

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Damn I hate to say this but I agree with 548. That would have been a simple solution to what the queers and then A&E made into a big deal. The man was asked a question in an unrelated interview and answered truthfully.

·
Registered
12,434 Posts
548, grntitan, THEY DID then fired him.

It was the first thing reported early yesterday morning, then dropped the rest of the day.

It was more important that all the "talking heads" got out the "its not about free speech" mantra through out the rest of the reporting cycle.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts