Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
How far was the cat from you when you shot?
What type shot were you using? I assume the Game Warden was understanding?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Wow! That is a good pile of roosters. That is an good sized cougar, does not look hungry kind of odd it was so close. That is scary glad you protected the dog.

Reactions: TC

·
Registered
160 Posts
That will be an adventure to remember. I say adventure as I’m remembering a few of me and my grouse hunting buddy’s day hunts when at some point we asked do you know where we are.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A pheasant hunter killed a grizzly with bird shot on the Nine Pipes Refuge just south of Ronan, MT. between Missoula and Polson sometime in the late 90’s. We had been hunting in Eastern Montana and spent the night in a motel in Missoula and read about it on the front page of the newspaper. A few years later I met a guy who was a friend of the guy and told me that the bear charged him from behind, he turned around at the sound and pulled the trigger while the muzzle was touching the bear’s chin. The bear landed on top of the guy but he was not hurt.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
A pheasant hunter killed a grizzly with bird shot on the Nine Pipes Refuge just south of Ronan, MT. between Missoula and Polson sometime in the late 90’s. We had been hunting in Eastern Montana and spent the night in a motel in Missoula and read about it on the front page of the newspaper. A few years later I met a guy who was a friend of the guy and told me that the bear charged him from behind, he turned around at the sound and pulled the trigger while the muzzle was touching the bear’s chin. The bear landed on top of the guy but he was not hurt.
I remember the Ronan Griz..that was like 5 years ago

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't shoot it but 2 of my hunting partners did, it was a male and weighed between 120 and 130 lbs. It was shot with # 4shot at close range. Scared the hell out of the dog, probably still has nightmares. Warden was skeptical that someone had shot a Cougar in that area, because not very common there. We were trying to get possession of it to possibly have it mounted but still waiting to hear what Wildlife Dept. is doing with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I remember the Ronan Griz..that was like 5 years ago
I‘ve got a bad memory but I don’t think it’s that bad. I searched and found a different incident in November 2017 where a pheasant hunter killed a grizzly up in Choteau, MT.

The one I remember definitely happened on the Nine Pipes much longer ago. I’m still searching for the newspaper article on it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I‘ve got a bad memory but I don’t think it’s that bad. I searched and found a different incident in November 2017 where a pheasant hunter killed a grizzly up in Choteau, MT.

The one I remember definitely happened on the Nine Pipes much longer ago. I’m still searching for the newspaper article on it

Ya your right thats the one I was thinking of

Reactions: WillM

·
Registered
58 Posts
Still haven’t found the article I remember but found a different incident up in Chouteau in 2009 where another pheasant hunter killed a grizzly! Lots of articles warning pheasant hunters on the Nine Pipes about grizzly activity over the years but none reference the incident I remember; probably too long ago, I’m getting old... The last time I hunted Nine Pipes there were red grizzly warning signs posted all around and my buddy was so nervous (not that I wasn’t) we didn’t last long there

1 - 20 of 36 Posts