Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I will be purchasing a PFS with an ultimate fit comb very soon. And was wondering what the pros and cons are and also things to watch out for.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Hi, I will be purchasing a PFS with an ultimate fit comb very soon. And was wondering what the pros and cons are and also things to watch out for.
Before you mount it onto your gun, take it to a good stock fitter and have them measure your current stock for LOP, cast, toe out, drop at the comb, etc. so you can get the PFS set up exactly like your other stock was set up.

Then adjust the recoil spring. The instruction manual that comes with it will tell you how to do that.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
If you have flat rib, you might have a hard time getting an Ultimate Fit Comb to get low enough. As for cons, some folks don't like the look. You can often find good deals on used ones in the classifieds here, shotgunworld.com, the other trap sight, gunbroker.com, ebay.com, etc. I'm sure there will be at least one or two going up in the near future.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I like the idea of a PFS or "robo" style stock as a try stock. Try what you like until you get dialed in then find a nice piece of lumber and leave it be.
One of the major features of the PFS is the recoil reduction through the use of a "Belleville spring."

That's the MAIN reason I have one.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
One of the major features of the PFS is the recoil reduction through the use of a "Belleville spring."

That makes sense to me. I've never tried one. I want one for my fiancee because she needs that. You have a Zoli, don't you? How did you go about getting the grip done?

·
Registered
595 Posts

Agreed - I have one and the recoil reduction is outstanding.

Moreover, as others have stated, if you want to sell the PFS later on you will be able to sell it or put the PFS on the next new gun.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
That makes sense to me. I've never tried one. I want one for my fiancee because she needs that. You have a Zoli, don't you? How did you go about getting the grip done?
They have wood grips for the Zoli. You have to buy them through Target Shotguns Inc in NC

I think they run about $500+

Reactions: bt99shooter25

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
In additional to record your stock dimensions/setting, You should also record you POI at 13 yard using Neil Winston’s method (see a lot post here). This would help PSF setting

One you have it tuned for your setting, shoot it and stay with it. Do not keep changing it or wonder if it could changed for better.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
In additional to record your stock dimensions/setting, You should also record you POI at 13 yard using Neil Winston’s method (see a lot post here).
Excellent suggestion. Wonder why I didn't think of it, since it's exactly what I did a couple months ago when I got my new Zoli!

Reactions: bt99shooter25

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've found with my ultimate fit comb, I sometimes roll my cheek over the comb more than I want to. I may swap mine back to the stock comb, haven't decided yet...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have 2 of them , shot them for about 6 years now . To me nothing fits like a percision . And the recoil reduction is amazing

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I'd say one other downside is that they don't make grips for every gun out there. For example, I'd love to have one for a fixed trigger Perazzi MT6, but since PFS doesn't offer a composite grip for them, you've gotta pay big bucks to have someone make a wood grip.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I'd say one other downside is that they don't make grips for every gun out there. For example, I'd love to have one for a fixed trigger Perazzi MT6, but since PFS doesn't offer a composite grip for them, you've gotta pay big bucks to have someone make a wood grip.
Target Shotguns Inc has a lot of offerings for wood grips for guns they don't have composite grips for. But you're right, they are pricey.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Excellent suggestion. Wonder why I didn't think of it, since it's exactly what I did a couple months ago when I got my new Zoli!
I found that sometimes that pitch, DAC, and DAH alone are not sufficient to “replicate” the wood stock since PFS’ cheek piece or ultra fit comb has different curvature (and feeling/fitting) than your original stock when mounting to your cheek. That is where matching POI and patterning are useful to make PFS work well. If people do not realize the difference, they will get frustrated and complain about PFS. Of course, PFS is not necessary for everyone.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have 2 and the one thing I can say as a down side is using it for doubles. I tend to trap the compressed stock from first shot. I have bought the lock out and I just got plain tired of having to put it in and out so now I just use my other Beretta 682 with a wood stock. Other than that I love it, I have had a friend ask me when I was going to get a real stock, I just have to laugh. The time I really appreciate it is during handicap with shooting AA super handicaps with the recoil reduction.
I don't think enough people take into account the fatigue that comes from recoil. I had a good friend just get a Pro Soft stock from Phil Simms and he said to me he couldn't believe how much it helped.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I found that sometimes that pitch, DAC, and DAH alone are not sufficient to “replicate” the wood stock since PFS’ cheek piece or ultra fit comb has different curvature (and feeling/fitting) than your original stock when mounting to your cheek. That is where matching POI and patterning are useful to make PFS work well. If people do not realize the difference, they will get frustrated and complain about PFS. Of course, PFS is not necessary for everyone.
For my wife’s Trap Special Krieghoff I made a custom bracket and set of posts that fit her factory comb. Plus I moved the posts position forward on the bracket to compensate for a 13 1/2“ LOP.
Now she has a tapered comb which I used the original spacing on. Here are two brackets for Trap Special combs that I made for her.
9EE9EE91-4BBD-4FBA-9165-FBD77C4F1FC4.jpeg

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Couple things I noticed today, after making a few more adjustments last nite.... I also shoot a 725 trap combo with a gracoil and adjustable comb. Thec725 fits me like a glove. I've been shooting my Bt99 Max for about 3 weeks with the PFS installed... I had it on my BT99AR when I was shooting righty, took it off when I sold it. I couldn't get it adjusted right the last 2 weeks, then finally realized I still had it set up for righty ... Im shooting lefty now due to macular hole in my right eye. Changed it over to lefty last week and felt better shooting this week, but still was quite rite ... made a couple more tweaks last night, now its right on ..... got back to shooting all 20's today and even a 25 ... what really stuck out today was the recoil.... or what I should say is the lack of recoil. It was the best ever, I could really tell after shooting my last round yesterday with the 725 and a gracoil. The PFS is absolutely the recoil I have used. And as for the feel of the comb, I have the wood comb, love that to.

To sum it up.... stick with the tweaking, it'll come in. I see no downfall to this stock set up. One more point, my like new wood stock with no dings can now go back on if I sell the 99 and be of more value .... cause there be no dingers in it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Biggest thing to watch out for is the fact that there are a lot of adjustments to be dealing with at one time. Set the stock up with the same dimensions as a starting point, then make adjustments one at a time until the stock is comfortable to shoot. It's very easy to get lost if you don't have a starting point.

In my experience: In doubles, if you can feel the stock bouncing around in between the shots, then the dimensions of the stock might not be set to where they need to be for you. I shot mine locked out for a while, but now use the recoil reduction. You shouldn't feel the stock move at all in between shots and you should be able to transition your eyes to the second target without distraction.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts