Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used PFS Stock from JLYON on this forum. Great transaction by the way.

Had my stockfitter in Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa make me a handgrip and a cheek piece because they don't make one for the old Zoli.

It was the first time he had ever seen one, much less make a handgrip for one. He used a splice to do what he needed to do. Plus, the wood he used had a knot in it, as you can see from one of the pics, so he put a plug in to eliminate that. Looks pretty good.

The last two pics show the splice and the plug he inserted for the knot.

I wanted him to make it out of laminate (alternating dark/light and about 1/4" pieces) but he said he had a piece of Turkish walnut that was too small for a complete stock, and it was just gathering dust in his workshop, and he'd like to use that instead.

For those of you who use a PFS, the only thing that I notice is immediately after the shot, when I am admiring the beautiful puff of smoke I just made out of the target, I hear/feel the spring returning things back to the "rest" position. Is this normal?
timb99_2008_0303139.jpg

timb99_2008_0303140.jpg

timb99_2008_0303141.jpg

timb99_2008_0303142.jpg

timb99_2008_0303143.jpg

timb99_2008_0303144.jpg

timb99_2008_0303145.jpg

timb99_2008_0303146.jpg

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
chiefjon_2008_03032.jpg

Looks Great. I chose not to have mine checkered, but I do like the look of your grips. Mine courtesy of Stocker John Fittinger.

JON

·
Well known trouble maker
2,834 Posts
Tim, I do not hear the springs (washers) in either of my PFS units after firing.

Of course it could be that with my hearing loss and the addition of my ear plugs that they are "sounding off" and I don't know it. However, many other shooters have shot my PFS equipped guns and none has ever remarked about any unusual noises.

The wood looks great Tim!

Doc

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Doc

I think I may have the tension too soft. I'll experiment with tightening it up when I shoot this weekend.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tim, FWI, Vern recommends to tighten it all the way and back off 10 turn as general starting point. It helped me out when I first started playing with the adjustments. Think I found around 13 turns backed off was the trick my on my first one. Good luck with the great looking PFS's you have. Jeff

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Cyrus. I think I have it where I need it now. Went back and checked. I think my stock fitter must have messed with the setting, as it was backed off 17 turns. I tried 11, then tightened to 9. Seems to work for me there.

Still getting used to it.

I used the gun today at a sporting clays shoot just to see if the settings allowed me to get off a second shot with no problem. Seems to be in a good spot.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Benchrest was your stock make from a full length stock cut down? I wonder if someone could use my plastic PFS pistol grip to make me one out of wood with a palm swell. I have black tape wrapped around it to make it fatter. Yours is beautiful!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Thank you, the stock was made from a solid piece of wood. We used the old stock which was built up with bondo to fit the customer. Then it was duplicated on the Gemini duplicator. I have some pictures of the process which I can post. Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts