Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the not too distant past I owned a PFS for my 725 for a short period of time. From that short period of time I found out that the grip was not doing me any favors and I felt that I was lacking a nice palm swell or a more full feeling in my hand. Another issue I had was that the recoil pad seemed to have been rubbing me wrong on the outside of my shoulder pocket. Thus caused a rash and pain. At the end I believe I had the recoil pad adjusted closer to my center line to try to stop the rubbing

My question is, can ordering a different grip size in the wood grip help with a better feeling in my hand? I don't have anyone local who has a wood to test. A wood grip could look a little nicer to boot

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
It definitely can. You can also build up your grip with kneadatite and fine tune it to your liking. Once complete, have your forend, grip and comb hydro-dipped in a wood pattern or go a little crazy with available patterns. My k80 PFS set is airbrushed and I get all kinds of crap from friends but no one picks up my gun by mistake and no one laughs when they get whooped. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have one on my 725 sporting and had a hard time getting it set up for me as well. Rey gave me some advice and I am really happy with it now.
Like you said, the grip is still not the greatest. I looked into to wood grips, but can't bring myself to pay $550 for a grip. I am currently trying tennis racquet grip tape, it feels better but is not the best looking. I tried Rat Grip but it felt really bulky and was not impressed with how it stuck. I wouldn't call it "easy" to work with. I'm thinking I'll try the kneadatite and see what I can come up with. When I'm happy with it, I want to get it and the forend hydrodipped with a fun pattern. Maybe something with flames.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In the not too distant past I owned a PFS for my 725 for a short period of time. From that short period of time I found out that the grip was not doing me any favors and I felt that I was lacking a nice palm swell or a more full feeling in my hand. Another issue I had was that the recoil pad seemed to have been rubbing me wrong on the outside of my shoulder pocket. Thus caused a rash and pain. At the end I believe I had the recoil pad adjusted closer to my center line to try to stop the rubbing

My question is, can ordering a different grip size in the wood grip help with a better feeling in my hand? I don't have anyone local who has a wood to test. A wood grip could look a little nicer to boot
Do you still have the PFS grip? I've got a 725 and been contemplating this. Is the grip at all like the factory stock, obviously outside of the material it's made of.

JS

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you still have the PFS grip? I've got a 725 and been contemplating this. Is the grip at all like the factory stock, obviously outside of the material it's made of.

JS
Sold the grip with the PFS. My factory stock has a RH palm swell. Has a better feel in my hand than the PFS grip. The PFS grip didn't seem to feel good in my hands. Grip made it seem like my hand was further forward as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sold the grip with the PFS. My factory stock has a RH palm swell. Has a better feel in my hand than the PFS grip. The PFS grip didn't seem to feel good in my hands. Grip made it seem like my hand was further forward as well.
Thanks for information. I'm interested in the wood grip but a 550 dollar experiment is quite risky in my opinion

JS

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wife's wood PFS for her 725 looked nice. Terrible service by the folks at PFS (year 2017) had us move on. It looked nice, but fit terribly till we got a hold of the person that actually made the grip. If you want the contact info for the maker of the grip I would be happy to share it via PM.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wife's wood PFS for her 725 looked nice. Terrible service by the folks at PFS (year 2017) had us move on. It looked nice, but fit terribly till we got a hold of the person that actually made the grip. If you want the contact info for the maker of the grip I would be happy to share it via PM.

I'd take that info! I wonder if it's a common occurrence with these wood grips

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would take that info as well. I was going to give Bob Shultz a call and discuss some of my concerns. Looking on his website it appears they have wood options for quite a few models.

JS

·
Registered
89 Posts
What did y'all move on to from the PFS?

JS

JS

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd take that info! I wonder if it's a common occurrence with these wood grips
The problem was PFS sent me the wrong adapter. It wasn't till I got a hold of the wood maker that he saw the poor alignment with the adapter. When he asked me what was engraved on the adapter I told him it said "CIT". He sent me one marked "BL" and the problem was solved. This took weeks to figure out and multiple shipments back and forth to "fix" the fit issue. Obviously PFS was protective of who made their wood product. Looking back, buying the PFS was our biggest waste of money in the sport of trap shooting. Hopefully things have changed for the better since our experience 3 years ago.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have one on my 725 sporting and had a hard time getting it set up for me as well. Rey gave me some advice and I am really happy with it now.
Like you said, the grip is still not the greatest. I looked into to wood grips, but can't bring myself to pay $550 for a grip. I am currently trying tennis racquet grip tape, it feels better but is not the best looking. I tried Rat Grip but it felt really bulky and was not impressed with how it stuck. I wouldn't call it "easy" to work with. I'm thinking I'll try the kneadatite and see what I can come up with. When I'm happy with it, I want to get it and the forend hydrodipped with a fun pattern. Maybe something with flames.
I used Kneadite for my PFS grip project and liked the way it turned out.
A word of advice, make twice as much Kneadite as you think you will need.
It's pretty easy to work with but it's hard to get a good finish if you add more to it later.

Reactions: cmccoy76
1 - 15 of 15 Posts