Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’ve convinced myself I need a custom stock, but with the gun I’m shooting I’m not really too keen on spending the $$$ to get a wooden one. I’ve been looking awefully hard at a PFS and want to know how it compares to a fully custom stock. I’m mainly concerned with gun balance and getting it adjusted to where it would fit like a custom stock.

Guys that have had both what do you think?

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
The ugly PFS will probably be more useful doing what you want it to do, but a nicely-figured piece of custom-made walnut will certainly fill you with more joy every time you take it out of the case.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Get the PSF as they can be made to fit any one. Get over the look as a trap gun is just a hammer to brake clay targets. If you want to hit targets it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no comparison.
Nothing worse than having a PFS come loose in the middle of your 1st hundred straight.
I’m not so concerned with the recoil ability of the stock but more the fit. Is there a way to lock it in place to prevent that?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have one on my CG Summit and shoot approximately 1 flat per week since last Aug. and nothing has come loose. I do check it once in awhile though. I don't really like the looks of them, but being able to adjust them is what sold me.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
One problem with a totally adjustable stock is that you are never done adjusting it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The pfs is a great option that allows you to be able to do anything with it. You won’t break the bank either. If you don’t like it, you can always sell it, guys are always looking.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Mine has not come loose in the last several thousand targets. You can dress it up a little with a custom wood grip(comes in three sizes)

Don

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
There are limits to how you can adjust a PFS. The ranges are not continuous. Even with the Ultimate comb option I could not get a 'correct' fit. I sent it back. A custom stock cured the problem.
What range of motion in the design was a limiting factor for your application?
I have looked at the PFS a number of times as a solution for fitting new shooters to get them close for a session or two.
Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Buy the PFS. Work with it unit you like the fit. Then have Stock Lock build you one off the specs of the PFS. Then you truly get a custom stock. Then sell the PFS, lots of buyers out there.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Tried the PFS... For me it was a frustrating experience
Went with a Wenig custom stock and exceeded my expectations.
Lester

Reactions: tomk2

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buy a used PFS, dial it in for how you shoot and then decide if you really need a "fitted", wooden stock. If so, take the gun with the PFS to whomever will do the fitting as the starting point for his work. Used PFS stocks can be found for about half of the list price and can be resold if you decide on a custom stock.

A problem with the fitting process is that the fitter will be reluctant to take off too much wood and you can assume the fit is correct if it is close but not actually correct - based on several personal attempts with semi-fitted stocks. An answer to this problem is for the fitter to make a pattern stock, usually with bondo that can be easily removed and reapplied as determined by shooting with it for a few months. This process works well if you and the fitter are close so that you do not have to fly to and from his location for stock adjustments. Having a PFS that has already been set via the trial and error process helps reduce false-fit issue.

For reference, PFS stocks have been on two of my guns for almost 20 years. A custom stock was recently produced for a third by the method outlined above - without the bondo iterations. The custom stock is almost identical to the PFS used to establish the dimensions and seems to be working well without multiple trips or shipments to the fitter.

Regardless of which path you choose, getting the fit right is likely to be one of the best things you can do to improve your shooting.

Good luck,
Pat

·
Registered
486 Posts
There are limits to how you can adjust a PFS. The ranges are not continuous. Even with the Ultimate comb option I could not get a 'correct' fit. I sent it back. A custom stock cured the problem.
Everything on my pfs, which is the current version, is continuous except pitch. Mine has never loosened up. Some love it and some don’t - I’m in the love it group :) They are easier to sell then a custom stock so I believe it’s a better first step.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The only time I have something loosen is after first putting the stock on a gun. Shoot it a couple of hundred rounds and the grip to receiver bolt will loosen up just a hair. Tighten one more time and no more problems.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts