Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I own a browning citori cx and a Remington 1100 competition. I shoot them equally as well. But the 1100 normally makes it to competitions since after 100 rounds my neck gets sore. I was thinking of getting a PFS since I do like shooting the empties all over the place for sporting and skeet. And I hear they are great on recoil. And the 1100 has been really great has broken twice in practice. I already have a gracoil on the browning. But I was curious how the PFS would compare to the 1100 comp for recoil purposes.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
If you get the PFS properly adjusted to you and the shells you shoot, I think you’ll be amazed at how well it will work for you. Unfortunately the only way you’ll know is to actually try one. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My advice is if you know someone with a Citori Grip Precision Fit Stock ask them if they minded you putting it on your gun and try shooting if for 10 shots. Tell them you will not adjust it but want to feel how the recoil device tames your CX. You may not hit a target if it isn't adjusted correctly but it will tell you what the felt recoil difference is. If and when you get it on your gun put the recoil pad in the bend of your right arm if right handed and use your hand around the grip and pull back the grip toward your elbow. If adjusted properly in my perspective the grip should pull back into your elbow with a firm grip and some resistance. If you can't hardly collapse the grip back into your elbow it's to firm and you won't get the advantage of the recoil reduction. Of course it's someone else's PFS and you won't be able to adjust it.

Mount the gun with your regular grip on your shoulder if it's close to fitting you for length and cheek the stock and pretend you're making a shot. If the grip collapses back toward your shoulder it's to soft. You want to be able to mount the gun without collapsing the stock with your normal mounting / pulling into your shoulder. Enjoy the opportunity to shoot someone else's PFS and you can make a good decision it what will work best for you.

PD

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have a PFS on my 725. I don't like how it looks, but since I got it set for me, I don't want to even shoot my other guns.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have a 682 Beretta & a Perazzi MX-8 with PFS stocks & have shot a friends Rem. 1100 Comp with the Ken Rucker Bumpbuster recoil system. When set up properly, the PFS units greatly reduce recoil but an 1100 with the Bumpbuster has almost none. John

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hello I own a browning citori cx and a Remington 1100 competition. I shoot them equally as well. But the 1100 normally makes it to competitions since after 100 rounds my neck gets sore. I was thinking of getting a PFS since I do like shooting the empties all over the place for sporting and skeet. And I hear they are great on recoil. And the 1100 has been really great has broken twice in practice. I already have a gracoil on the browning. But I was curious how the PFS would compare to the 1100 comp for recoil purposes.
I have a 725 Citori aand a Maxus with a soft touch. The Citori weighs 2 lbs more. The recoil is not objectionable as I shoot 7/8 oz loads in it. However, I found I was having some pain when shooting the 725. I couldn't figure it out cause it ddn't really seem to be kicking bad at all.

One of the fellas here told me he had the same problem, but found out it was caused by the extra weight of the OU, not the recoil.

So during Covid, I was doing a lot of practice of gun mounts. I found out the gent on here was right. My pain was being caused by raising the gun to my shoulder. The extra 2 lbs of the 725 made the difference. So now I need to find exercises to help .

I'd still like to get a soft touch on my OU. A PFS does a nice job on recoil, but I struggle getting comfortable with the grip portion.

·
Registered
76 Posts

It took me a long time to go back to my semi guns (391 and 1100) after owning many o/u, but going back to the semi guns recently the difference in weight and recoil is drastic. It takes 9.5lbs of Perazzi to eat up recoil equally as well as my semi guns.

You mentioned your 1100 broke twice, any details as to the malfunctions?

Im also considering the pfs, more so to play with adjustability then recoil management but everyone I know that owns a pfs and has taken the time to fine tune it swears by them. The ones I’ve shot, fit for others, had little no recoil.

The way the pfs moves from first shot to second shot does take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The two breaks I have had were the extractor broke and the gas piston broke and wedged in pretty good.
My piston ring (the original one-piece one) broke after 3000 rounds-The gun still worked, but I put the old-style two-piece piston ring set in (still available), it is a better design anyway. I did not have a problem with my extractor, but put a Volquartsen one in anyway; the hulls don't flip around in the chamber anymore with the TS shell catcher on as before.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a 1100 comp and a cx with a PFS. Still have the cx w/ PFS (my wife shoots it now) the 1100 went down the road.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Could not buy a 1100 comp - being left handed, Remington doesn't think enough of us to make one -- I had to buy a Jack West Comp. stock for my 1100- only to find out it comes with three set of recoil spring that the 1100 comp doesn't have --Like you I do have a browning with a Graicoil that can adjust length of pull plus recoil adjustment that the 1100 comp won't --the PFS is just plain ugly

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've got a Perazzi O/U with a PFS and an 1100 Competition Synthetic that I swapped out the 30" ProBore barrel for a 28" Lt/Target Contour RemChoke barrel. For recoil reduction, the 1100CS wins, hands down. The lighter barrel helps the 1100CS, but the Perazzi still move better, IMHO. I keep the 1100CS because it can do anything; I can use it as a backup, I shoot the occasional 3-bird sporting clays matches, and I can hand it out as a loaner.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
only to find out it comes with three set of recoil spring that the 1100 comp doesn't have
Maybe they didn't when you bought your Jack West stock, but my 1100 Competition Synthetic , bought last spring, came with Light, Medium (installed, and still in there) , and Heavy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts