Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter shoots a BT 99. She loves it and shoots it fairly well but it doesn't fit her very well. I have a PFS I'd like to put on it. They only make a grip for the later, short tang guns. I've contacted PFS and the recommended cutting down the current trigger guard to make it fit. I can certainly do that but if I want to put the original stock back on some day, it will be an issue.

The new short tang trigger guards don't screw in like the long tang ones. The front locks in with at 1/4 turn cam mechanism and the rear pins to the receiver.

With lots of reading here, it seems there is/was a Citori short tang guard that the front screws in. I've searched everywhere and connot find one.

I can find a newer short tang BT99 guard at Midwest Gun Works for 35 dollars. It would require machining off the cam post and drilling a hole to install the correct size screw for the front mount. Would need to identify the screw size first. One post here says is it 5mm x .9 which may be hard to find. The rear mount would require a hole drilled in the receiver then one perpendicular to this for the pin to hold it in place. A fair amount of work but probably doable if I can find the right screw.

Other option is to find another long tang guard and cut that down. Can't find any currently except a stainless version for over 100 dollars. Does anyone know where to find one?

I could also re-bend my current guard tang and cut a relief into the grip for the tang and drill a hole in the grip for the rear screw.

Any thoughts, options, sources for another guard to modify to make this work? If worse comes to worse, I'll just cut down my current guard and worry about putting the gun back to original when the time comes.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

·
Registered
589 Posts
Tom; Contact Tech writer Jeff on here by p.m. He knows more about the Bt than any=one. He may be able to answer your questions.

Ken

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can find a newer short tang BT99 guard at Midwest Gun Works for 35 dollars. It would require machining off the cam post and drilling a hole to install the correct size screw for the front mount. Would need to identify the screw size first. One post here says is it 5mm x .9 which may be hard to find. The rear mount would require a hole drilled in the receiver then one perpendicular to this for the pin to hold it in place. A fair amount of work but probably doable if I can find the right screw.

Other option is to find another long tang guard and cut that down. Can't find any currently except a stainless version for over 100 dollars. Does anyone know where to find one?
Tom,
Been down this path recently for my son. Same search results for long tang: Few and far between. Actually, glad I didn't go to all that trouble.
Get a newer short tang. Save old one for future use. New tang fits Precision stock well.
Regarding the work - just do it.
My "fine work" abilities are not that great... anything smaller than a sledgehammer is trying for me... HOWEVER, that being said - the process was not that difficult. (was gonna let somebody else do it for me, but circumstances wound up being that I tried it, and again, was not really an issue.)
I used a large shop grinding wheel and carefully honed the cam post off. Use whatever you have. You are absolutely correct on the front 5mm screw. In the mess of screws around (including Precision Stock "extras"), just used a 5mm hex socket head that was handy. I believe if you look in Lowes/Home Depot/Menards "specialty" screws, or Fastenal, or order a kit from Brownells/Pachymyer, etc. pretty common. The metal is pretty soft - therefore drilling not an issue...
I did NOT put a rear screw in the back/lower portion of the tang, nor did I deem in necessary at this point. The Precision stock is cut just a bit proud, so the metal fits neatly down inside.
Bottom line - I don't think you will have an issue fitting the new tang in there...!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I did one of each, Citori and a BT 99, I found a long tang one on eBay for the 99 and cut and shaped to compress a little when the grip is tightened to the receiver, throw a couple of turns of black electrical tape around it and you won’t even notice it. On the Citori I went the other way and ordered the short tang and cut off the post with a Dremel tool and basically did the same thing. Next time it’s out of the safe I’ll take a photo of the one on the 99. I have fairly large hands so there’s a couple of wraps of baseball bat grip tape on it now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts/ideas. It will be a little bit before my grip shows up so I have time to think about it and certainly welcome any other thoughts. I tend to overthink things so I appreciate the vote of confidence on modifying the short guard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts