Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of any dealers in the St. Louis area that handle the Peters target line. I've looked about everywhere but as it is only distributed to small dealers I am probably overlooking them. Remington was of no help. Maybe it is a discontinued item?? with Remington in bankruptcy. Just wanted to get some flats for novelty sake Colonel

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
I never see it for sale, but get it in once fired hulls, from time to time. For whatever reason, Remington marketing geniuses make up some STS shells with PETERS head stamps on 'em. They seem to be the same as regular STS so far as times I can reload them. Of course it's impossible to tell how long they were lying around before I got them

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
Remington website still shows these shells in their product lineup. I went to the website, clicked on “Peters” then ”Shotshells,“ and there they are. I know this does not answer the question for you but does not look like they were discontinued yet.

Reactions: colonel klink

·
Registered
741 Posts
They're an exclusive sold only to Dealers associated with the buying group Sports Inc.

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
So Sports Inc is one of those entities that acts like a buyer for independent sporting goods stores or general merchandise stores that have small sporting goods departments like Murdoch’s.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Just wanted to get some flats for novelty sake Colonel
I used some yesterday that I had bought at the 2019 Grand. They are essentially repackaged Gun Clubs. Same primer / powder / wad / shot. Steel base, not brass. I like the hulls though.

Reactions: George MT.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I never see it for sale, but get it in once fired hulls, from time to time. For whatever reason, Remington marketing geniuses make up some STS shells with PETERS head stamps on 'em. They seem to be the same as regular STS so far as times I can reload them. Of course it's impossible to tell how long they were lying around before I got them
Border Bandit,
The Peters target loads currently being marketed are the same as Gun Club, not STS hulls. They are a dealer-only item, originally directed to large retail buying groups, but currently available to any retail independent dealer. They are not available to national or regional chains. At least until the sale of the assets is completed.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
I still have some original Peters "Blue Magic" hulls in my hull barrel. Shot 13 cases (500 per case back then) of them one year in the early 80's. Quit reloading in 1993.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I used some yesterday that I had bought at the 2019 Grand. They are essentially repackaged Gun Clubs. Same primer / powder / wad / shot. Steel base, not brass. I like the hulls though.
Not to nitpick, but I’m pretty sure that the primers are different and, I believe, the powder. I’m looking right now at a new unfired GC and a new Peters. The Peters primer has a bright copper outer ring whereas the GC has a much lighter gold-ish ring, as they use STS primers. Shooting the two in the same session, the smoke has different odors and, purely subjective, the Peters seem to have a sharper recoil , same gun, same day.. Finally, the Peters primer will pierce fairly often in the bottom barrel of my XT, while the GC’s never have. I like the hulls to reload and appreciate the nostalgic connection to original Blue Magic’s I used when starting out my trapshooting career. But at the end of the day, assuming similar pricing I prefer GC’s as new shells.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Not to nitpick, but I’m pretty sure that the primers are different and, I believe, the powder.
Could be. I haven't looked at them that closely but now that I have, you are right about the primers. Definitely different.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Not to nitpick, but I’m pretty sure that the primers are different and, I believe, the powder. I’m looking right now at a new unfired GC and a new Peters. The Peters primer has a bright copper outer ring whereas the GC has a much lighter gold-ish ring, as they use STS primers. Shooting the two in the same session, the smoke has different odors and, purely subjective, the Peters seem to have a sharper recoil , same gun, same day.. Finally, the Peters primer will pierce fairly often in the bottom barrel of my XT, while the GC’s never have. I like the hulls to reload and appreciate the nostalgic connection to original Blue Magic’s I used when starting out my trapshooting career. But at the end of the day, assuming similar pricing I prefer GC’s as new shells.
This response is from the Remington expert.

"The Peters target loads currently being marketed are the same as Gun Club, not STS hulls. They are a dealer-only item, originally directed to large retail buying groups, but currently available to any retail independent dealer. They are not available to national or regional chains. At least until the sale of the assets is completed."

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I still have some original Peters "Blue Magic" hulls in my hull barrel. Shot 13 cases (500 per case back then) of them one year in the early 80's. Quit reloading in 1993.
[/QUOTE I sure did love those Blue Magics!! Lots of good memories, shooting them and reloading them!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Found two flats today while looking for reloading powder. Fort collins, co

I didn't buy them.

Sent using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts