Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I believe he means "Burning off". I have piled up a truck load of ducks n geese with those old Blue Magics in the great lead days. Shot them as factory, reloaded trap once and then field loads after that. And had many burn off about 1" to 1-1/2" above the brass. Just above the Blue Magic logo.

Reactions: krieghoff80

·
Registered
12,143 Posts
Have not seen the "breaking off" issue for a long time, there were some early hulls that did, and Remington fixed that issue, it was short lived.
Yes but there are probably STILL some of those bad hulls out there and unless you knew the lot numbers, which is impossible, people should probably use caution. I had 3 do that to me back in'the Day" , Caution is still advised .

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I have a couple hundred, I load up a couple boxes every once in a while. Also have some Premiere green hulls. When I bring a box of either out to put in my pouch, I get the occasional "I remember those.", as well as the watch out for them separating, but I've never had it happen, even back in the early 80's when I started loading them. I did see a few really short ones come out others' guns though.

·
Registered
Ljutic
102 Posts
I have loaded both the Green and the Blue and have never hap the burn off.But the Federal White hull GoldMedal burn off quite often and also have had the burn off with old Activ hulls of all three colors. Love to reload those old high quality hulls.

·
Registered
12,143 Posts
I have loaded both the Green and the Blue and have never hap the burn off.But the Federal White hull GoldMedal burn off quite often and also have had the burn off with old Activ hulls of all three colors. Love to reload those old high quality hulls.
Just because "YOU" never had one separate doesn't mean anything. I have seen at least a dozen do it back around 1980. Remington DID fix the problem but, that didn't change the fact there WERE ( and still may be ) some bad hulls that got out before the problem got solved. As I said caution should be used . Even if the odds were 99-1 There is still somebody who could be that 1%. BTW this wasn't a "burn off" The hulls separated leaving the plastic walls shoved up in the forcing cone,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts