Trapshooters Forum banner

Peters Blue Magic hulls?

3675 19
I was able to pick up a bunch of these hull, current manufacture. Are they decent hulls for reloading? They have brass washed bases...but steel which I verified with a magnet.
Any reason I should not reload them using STS data?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
723 Posts
I was able to pick up a bunch of these hull, current manufacture. Are they decent hulls for reloading? They have brass washed bases...but steel which I verified with a magnet.
I have been reloading the new recent production Blue Peters hulls since they came out a couple years ago. They load and shoot just like a Gun Club. I cut one and a GC apart, the hulls are identical as far as I can see, color aside.

· Registered
715 Posts
I had some OG that I probably loaded 10+ times. They burned up the ends instead of splitting. I really liked them.

Good luck and all the best.

Reactions: Don-mx3 and entropy

· Registered
1,280 Posts
Why would you reload a Remington hull, with AA data? Seems slightly ass backwards.
I have published data from Hodgdon that uses the same primer, powder charge, wad and shot payload for both Remington and AA hulls.
The only variation is the Remington data calls for the discontinued CCI209SC primer, but I spoke with both CCI and Hodgdon and was told (by both) to just use a standard CCI primer in place of the discontinued primer since the 209sc was roughly 2% hotter and using the standard would have slightly lower than published pressure.

Since I started reloading again at a time when components have become scarce, to me it was a no brainer to pick data that works in both hulls without changing anything.

6,495 Posts
Why would you reload a Remington hull, with AA data? Seems slightly ass backwards.
Actually back asswards... but in the 90s the AACF and Remington RTL/Premier/Blue Magic hulls were that close...

· Registered
57 Posts
I've been reloading and re-reloading new production Peters blue shells for skeet league all summer knowing that I'll lose a few each time I shoot station 7. My most senior shells probably have five cycles through them. They go bang and break targets through my SX1. Figure 8 replacement, 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz, 8 1/2.

They work well in my pump guns too. Got them from Remington for the nostalgia shoot and was pleasantly surprised. I punched out the primer and tested the "brass" certain that it was (nope). Gun clubs always stuck in my pump.

· Registered
6,249 Posts
Because they load identical in every aspect to the AA-CF hull, which the original ones were designed to be the same as. The new ones differ only in having brass washed steel bases.
Like FlynLiver, I too have some of the old Blue Magic, and have found the same thing he has; (Although I knew this back in '81 the first time I loaded them) They are a tough hull that will beloadable until the crimp fold start to burn at about 6-8 loadings.

Actually back asswards...
Bass ackwards. :sneaky:

· Registered
794 Posts
they’re good, but keep an eye 👁 out as you reload them over and over, they have a history of coming apart (tubing) …. It happened to me …. It got stuck 18inches up in the barrel, I found it before I put another round through it….. you’ll get a few reloads just like another shell , but just watch them…..be safe and shoot well (have fun too 👍)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.