Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading letters to the editor in Machine Design magazine and a Babyboomer Engineer was replying to a younger one's opinion that the Babyboomer engineers should quit because there ideas are outmoded and it would make more room for younger engineers to move up

The Babyboomer said he has started calling the younger engineers the Trophy Generation

I know they have the x,y,z etc generations, but they actually all fall into the trophy generation, because they were all given trophies to make them feel good about themselves no matter how big of losers they were

He couldn't have been more accurate

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Trophies are meaningless if everyone gets one. A good compromise are participant ribbons.

And it's ironic about the young wanting the old to retire early, when they're often the ones demanding and voting to saddle so many taxes, high health costs and other social crap on the working class that many cannot retire early. For full SS benefits I have to work until 67-1/2. I'll bet not one of them suggested lessening the tax burdens or health care costs of the eldery or coming up with ideas to help them retire early, did they?

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, but it seems that every kid now get a trophy just for participation, not how good they did

When our youngest son was in baseball his team lost every game the coach sent home a letter that they wanted 25 or 30 bucks I can't remember to buy every kid a trophy, I told him to forget it, I didn't think it was right to reward a kid for doing miserably

They all thought I was an a$$hole, and they paid for the trophy

I guess I am an A$$hole, so be it

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
Instead of this cluster they call Obamacare, our politicians should have designed a Catastrophic Health Plan coupled with a nursing home plan for the elderly. Cancer, Parkinson's, and other catastrophic illnesses will wipe out a nest egg or retirement savings, and the cost of a good health care plan is out of the reach of most retirees.

If these older workers had a catastrophic parachute, most would not be working so long, or lose their life's investment due to a prolonged illness.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
These younger people need to learn a work ethic. Our (boomer) generation had one but we enabled those that came behind us to a point that they have in many cases little to no work ethic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts