Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a snap cap for the lower barrel, Is is OK to un-cock the top firing pin on the top insert?
what is best practice here.

thanks

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
You will see shooters use a snap cap and with remove able triggers you can un-cock the trigger while it is removed from the gun.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, even both hammers can be released while the trigger is in hand.

Although I was interested to see if anyone has solved this problem by customizing the top barrel insert in some way that allows for safe de-cocking.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
De-cocking is a waste of time. Really. Wear on your hammer springs is mostly from cycles, that is, how many times you drop the hammer.

Weakening or failure from holding it sprung in one position only has an effect over years.

·
Registered
574 Posts
select top barrel,open gun,pull and hold trigger.Shut gun and you have released top hammer.Now pull trigger to trip bottom barrel.If you do not have o/u barrels it's simple to remove the hammer spring.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think I get what your asking. Don't be dropping the hammer on the top (plugged) barrel. I'm sure you could machine out face to allow a brass headed plunger into the barrel. However, I like to remove the trigger group to inspect the springs after shooting. That's the time to de-cock the hammers. If I'm lazy I just take the barrels off and depress the top lever pin. I then use a single snap cap and push it against the breach face on the lower barrel and fire. Flick the safety on then back off. This allows me to fire the top barrel after I slide the snap cap up to that position on the face.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
The unsingle I had before had a plastic insert in the top (barrel) block for firing pin drop.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The top barrel n a unsingle should be blocked of as a safty issue. I man at a shoot dropped a shell into the bottom barrel of a top single and blew the barrel up . Iy may have been a custom barrel made from o/u barrels but when open it looked like a reg o/u very dangerous I would plug it even with a snap cap glued in place. An easy mistake to make.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
I considered doing just that...........could doing that cause any damage to the trigger group or the receiver?
That's the correct way of doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts