Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between a type 2, 3, and type 4 barrels, irons, wood. I have read much about 3 vs 4 but nothing reguarding type 2. What year or ser# range did Perazzi switch from type 2 to 3. My gun has a 34XXX ser#. Would this be a type 3. Thanks, Marc

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yours was most likely made between 68-70 and is a type 2. Serial # range is 33250-35450, according to Lippard. I think there was a change in the receiver, where the lever release button is located. They went from the top to one side and then the other. All changes were for the better. Type 2 guns felt the liveliest. A lot of the newer guns feel dead in your hands. I sold them in the 90's and had a good gunsmith locally who told me what to look for and why changes were made. You should buy Karl Lippards book. Perazzi shotguns. Forend irons on 2 and 3 I think are similar, but don't quote me on that. I will wait for someone to correct me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Marc: yours should be a Type 2 with that serial number. Type 2 and 3's do not have the allen screws in from the receiver side which stabilizes the wood to metal fit. Several gunsmiths add a pair of screws in older fore end irons to keep the fore end from cracking, essentially converting them to Type 4's. The fore end lug is also in a different location and different size for 2 and 3's vs 4's. There are also several different lengths of fore end irons in "Type 2's" to confused things more - one in particular is very hard to find replacement wood for. DGG

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
The under lug is located at the same spot, but there's approx. 1 mm difference in the back end between the two.

stevew_2008_0303300.jpg.png

·
Registered
966 Posts
Also, the Type 2 bottom tang is shorter than the Type 3 so the forearms are Not interchangeable - but the bottom lugs on the barrel are essentially the same for Type 2 and Type 3.

The Type I and IV lugs on the bottom barrel are Not in same location as Type 2 and Type 3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts