Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I no nothing about Perazzi's but I do know of there reputation as being reliable and I can see there are plenty of parts if needed.

Can anyone give advise as to what models I should be looking for?
I want a trap model with a "fixed" stepped rib (o/u) and most likely with 30" barrels.
thanx
mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Arnold 55
The first model of Perazzi that come to mind is an MX-8. The type would be a Vintage model. It has a fixed step rib.
I believe that model was made and used in the Olympic games for a shooter in the late 70's. I think......pricey but Perazzi are in general.

Bob

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I have been reading and seeing for sale adds it seems that the MX may be more of a sporting and the MT may be more of a trap gun..
Does this sound right at all?
mike

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Check out Perazzi MX812 GA Vintage (you can order the same model without case coloring too). Get one with the coil springs to save yourself some headache.
Perazzi flat leaf springs are expensive but superior in general than coil springs and have a faster lock time. Sure you may break one now and then but they are good for thousands of shots and easy to replace with the proper tool that's readily available.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I'd rather have a vintage Ithaca imported mx8 in good condition than any other Perazzi ever made. It's just my opinion but I've shot more than one and the balance and weight suit me more than the newer usually heavier Perazzis. Also it's just my opinion but I think Perazzi increased their guns weight to help with recoil because the older ones;mx8's and comp ones do kick a little hard but mostly it's because they weigh only about 8 lbs.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Mike,

The MX8 and most Mirage guns had the step ribbed barrels.

Check out Perazzi MX812 GA Vintage (you can order the same model without case coloring too). Get one with the coil springs to save yourself some headache.
Some people follow this idea and then are surprised that taking their gun apart for cleaning and yearly maintenance is much harder than a drop out trigger gun.

If you do not know the secret to taking apart a fixed trigger gun and putting it back together you are in for a very long day.

I advise people to buy the leaf spring trigger guns, much simpler to work on and maintain.

Don Rackley

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
From what I've seen around about any model Perazzi could be ordered with any rib - and there are a wide variety of rib heights and widths. "Standard" is not a good word to use with Perazzi ribs hahaha

I don't believe there is a magic era. Nothing really changed until very recently. Barrel length, barrel weight, screw-ins or not, and all the different stock conformations can make any year magic. The ones here run from 1972 to 1985 and they're all magic.

Reactions: arnold55

·
Registered
848 Posts
Perazzi flat leaf springs are expensive but superior in general than coil springs and have a faster lock time. Sure you may break one now and then but they are good for thousands of shots and easy to replace with the proper tool that's readily available.
In theory? Yes, leaf spring has a faster lock time. In practice... well, I owned both MX2000/8 (drop-out) and MX12L (non-drop-out), which I shot extensively and... I cannot tell the different at all - both triggers were exceptionally fast. Perhaps you or someone else can.

...Some people follow this idea and then are surprised that taking their gun apart for cleaning and yearly maintenance is much harder than a drop out trigger gun. If you do not know the secret to taking apart a fixed trigger gun and putting it back together you are in for a very long day. I advise people to buy the leaf spring trigger guns, much simpler to work on and maintain. Don Rackley
I said nothing about fixed trigger, I simply suggested to get an MX8 (or any of the variants of the same platform) with drop out coil-based trigger - MX8 is offered in both leaf and coil, where MX12 only in coil. Cleaning and maintenance of coil-based drop-out trigger group is pretty much the same but it is a bit easier to remove coil springs with special pliers:

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
My suggestion would be a 1974 or later gun with all matching #'s regardless of the importer (which is meaningless). I have a 1972 gun (Type 2) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it - - BUT the older a gun is the more likely it is to have been "fixed up" by some meathead trapshooter. Start with an original gun that has not been subjected to barrel bore mods, aftermarket choke tubes, etc., and you will likely be happier in the long term.

JMO of course and it's your $

Reactions: arnold55
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.