Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thinking of buying an older Perazzi TM1 from a guy at a club i shoot at and was wondering what to look for in things that can be wrong with the gun, i did shoot the gun tonight and it shot great and locks up tight and has no wiggle in the gun when locked up but the top latch sometimes went to center and sometimes it was off to the right. This would be my first Perazzi and i don't know much about them, so looking for some help, thanks

·
Registered
665 Posts
Steve - In the past I've owned several TM1's. I do not shoot one now, but that doesn't mean they are not a great gun.

The lever being sometimes in the center, and at times to the right would be a concern for me. My advice would be to PM Don Rackley on this site and seek his opinion. He will steer you in the correct direction. I hope the gun works out wonderfully for you. They are a target breaking machine! Good shooting, Jeff

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "sometimes went to center and sometimes it was off to the right." When the gun is closed, and the lever is to the right, can you push it toward the center? Or, does the top lever wiggle loosely from right to center?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Hi, thinking of buying an older Perazzi TM1 from a guy at a club i shoot at and was wondering what to look for in things that can be wrong with the gun, i did shoot the gun tonight and it shot great and locks up tight and has no wiggle in the gun when locked up but the top latch sometimes went to center and sometimes it was off to the right. This would be my first Perazzi and i don't know much about them, so looking for some help, thanks
Sounds as though your going to spend money right off on the gun.

You really need to talk with Don Rackley before purchase.

Also make sure all the rib posts are still attached to barrel and I would take a pic of the firing pin area to have Don evaluate.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Even if you have to have a little maintenance done to it with springs or whatever it might still be a good buy. You shot it well And like it, and if you got it rebuilt it would probably be good for another 100k rounds.

·
Vendor
2,067 Posts
Steve,

The TM guns are reliable, target breaking machines that will last a long time and might need a little maintenance.

Feel free to call me tomorrow, my contact info is in my profile. btw, I have 2 TM1 guns for sale now at nice prices and they will come with a mechanical warranty.

Don

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I bought an older TM1 from an estate last year. My intentions were to give it to my grandson. Well, he found out about girls and shooting went out the window. Once I got the gun, I sent it directly to Don Rackley. He went through the gun and advised me of what had to be done to get it up running properly. He kept me updated as to the status of the project, did great work, and at a great price. If you decide to get the TM1, send it to Don. He'll give you an honest opinion and great service. BTW, I kept the gun for myself and bought the grandson a box of Trojans!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Thank's for all the responses, i will be giving Don a call
+1 for Don Rackley. He has done wonderful work on my TM1 and MX7. Make sure the serial #s match on the gun you are looking at. Big value item to most buyers of used guns i have found. You can't go wrong with a TM1. Mine has 1,500,000 rounds through it In the 50 + years I have been shooting it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Without seeing the gun in person it sounds like the top lever return spring is weak and/or there is a possibility of gummed up lubrication preventing free and consistent travel of the necessary parts.

I was instructed by Giacomo how to properly close a Perazzi...and it was to close it gently (while holding the top lever - keeping it from moving on it's own) and to manually move the top lever towards center until it's travel has ended.

Snapping it shut, especially with a new/strong return spring will cause excessive and premature wear.

SVV

·
Registered
685 Posts
It sounds as though the TM1 might need a new top leaver spring and you should take a look at the breech face and the firing pin hole in case its oversized and oval.
Contact Dan at Giacomo or Don Rackley and they will give you the advice you need to make the right choice. They are great guns and will last a lifetime with a little service and repairs when required. Some of the TM1's are very high shooters.
The one I used to own shot very high until reworked the stock. [I shoot a fairly flat shooting gun]
Good Luck.
Devonian.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts