Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting my TM 1 yesterday and after about 30 targets the top leaver locked up. The top leaver is locked in its normal position and will not move . Don't want to put tooo much pressure and break the top leaver shaft. Any suggestions on how to get the gun open? Just as an aside it is an older gun serial # 6xx. has been rebuilt by the Gun Doctor about 4000 rounds ago and has worked flawlessly in all that time. Firing pin hole is not enlarged, not that it would affect the top leaver. Thanks for your thoughts.
Ron

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Ron,
I have an early TM1 that does the same thing unless I hold the lever over to the right when closing action.
If I forget and let lever close by itself I have to take 2 hands to open it back up.
If you take trigger out there will be a small hole in locking bar you can put a small drop of oil on.
You can also put some oil under lever on top of receiver to try and get it to loosen up to get it open, good luck.

·
Vendor
2,066 Posts
When you get it open, I recommend you apply a thin layer of grease to the shaft of the toplever.

Apply a small amount of grease to the firing pin and the top and bottom surfaces of the locking block also.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Might try a little penetrating oil down top lever. When i put mine back together i almost pack the top lever hole with grease. 45+ years on my TM1 with very little trouble. Over 1,000,000 rounds through it. Still shoot it 3-5 days a week year round. Good luck

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
First thing to do, would be to remove the trigger. I have seen a broken hammer cause this. The locking bolt may be wedged in tight to the barrel lug. See if you can put some pressure on the top of the solid rib, right inside the receiver, forcing the barrel lug into the receiver. Set the forend on a padded table, and grab the gun with the right hand by the trigger area, and bottom of receiver as much as possible lifting up without putting pressure on the stock, while pushing down on the rib with the left hand. Use your thumb to push on the lever at the same time.

Not a bad idea of removing the stock, and trigger first before doing the above. Don't put pressure on the bottom end of the stock, or you may crack the stock at the tang area. There may be a broken part inside there that is blocking operation, like a broken off part of the hammer. Look at the ejector trip rod, and make sure it is in correct position.

I would think if Doug recently did work on it, that top lever and all that requires it, would be lubed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is at the local gunsmith. Tried all the suggestions, no luck. I will report when I get the gun back.

Thanks for all the help

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
A friend recently had this same issue with his older TM1. We finally worked it open and found a very flat BB in the barrel lug. A little cleaning and application of grease and he was back in business. The next time we shot together I gave him a roll of scotch tape to "help with the crimp". I am pretty sure he did not say thankyou.......... Larry

·
Sky Buster
3,962 Posts
A friend recently had this same issue with his older TM1. We finally worked it open and found a very flat BB in the barrel lug. A little cleaning and application of grease and he was back in business. The next time we shot together I gave him a roll of scotch tape to "help with the crimp". I am pretty sure he did not say thankyou.......... Larry
The firing pin may have pierced the primer and is not retracting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts