Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have refinished a number of stocks, all owned by me. I would like to know if anyone knows the stain and finish used by Perazzi on there stocks as they come from their factory.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I recently did a TM1. I used a minwax stain called gunstock. I then finished off with about 20 coats of hand rubbed truoil... Not OEM but it worked for me....

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Underneath those dull brown Perazzi stocks there can actually be some nice wood.

When I refinished my MX 2000 the wood came to life. I took off the old finish, used no stain and coated with many coats of hand rubbed oil. The result was a really nice piece of wood to be proud of.

Forget the stain.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The stain is an exclusive and priority item to Perazzi. Sherwin Williams is the company that mixes the stain and finish for Perazzi. Unless you know someone at the factory you will be hard pressed to get the stain and finish. Hope this helps.

Dennis DeVault

·
Registered
965 Posts
Once stripped and re-sanded, I would never, never, ever re-stain a good piece of wood. Repairing dings or scratches later then is a nightmare to match.

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
Couple of comments:

1. I personally have used True Oil with Japanese dryer when I was building rifle stocks. Beautiful finish, but 25 coats or more was a time killer.

2. When I was involved in Protostar Ind., we made all of Weatherby's wood rifle stocks. We use Permalyn (Brownell's) to finish all of them and as a filler and finish, it worked beautifully. We were in the middle of designing butt stocks for Ljutic's and Perazzi's and would have used Permalyn on them.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances cause from one of our customer's failure to pay us timely, and the partner afraid to get tough on them, I left. I was tired of having accounts receivables in the $60K range running many months behind.

Permalyn is like a resin and once dried, it can be wet-sanded and power buffed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is nothing harder to re finish than a Browning stock with their plastic coated finish. I would never just finish wood without wiping down with a stain. I believe it adds a dimension to the final finish. I also would not finish walnut without using filler. It will give you a good smooth finish with about10% of the time you would have used. As Whiz said permalin works wonders to seal open grain and t0 firm up wood for checkering.I prefer Fullers earth fillers.You can just use true oil to fill and finish but like whiz said You are into many coats before you see the build up to fill pores. The good thing about true oil or tung oil finish is that if it gets a bump or scratch; fine sand and steel wool, apply more coats. Most people just do not have the patience to work through the process.
Marvin White

1 - 8 of 8 Posts