Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I change a TM1 release trigger to a pull myself or do I need to
send it to a gunsmith? If I can do it myself what is the procedure?

I received my gun today with the release. It has a Allem release. Called them
and they said that I should send it to them so they can set the pull after the
hook is removed, otherwise the trigger will have a long hard pull. Only $75 and
5 day wait.

Thank you,

John
johnpic_2008_03031.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
B.C. I just bought the gun and it has been shipped. I will post pictures when I get
it and hopefully you will read this thread again. I was asking now because I want
to use the gun at a shoot coming up but I don't shoot a release.

THanks, John

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The pic will help.

In my TMX, it's a 90 second change. Drop the trigger, push the retaining pin out, the release hook comes out coming backwards, push the retaining pin back in. Mine is a Bowen.

Regards,

Chip

P.S. I then have to adjust my pull weight with an allen wrench....still within the 90 second work time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Consider buying an additional pull trigger, put the release trigger in a drawer and then, when you sell the gun, swap them back. I doubt if the gun will recognize it if a different numbered trigger is being used. I doubt if your shooting buddies will notice either. You will be able to sell the pull trigger for close to, or even more than, what you paid for it. A release trigger usually carries more value than a pull trigger. Besides, if you someday need to go to a release, you will already have one. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

·
Registered
807 Posts
I was going to send in my TM1 spare trigger to be converted to pull, my dad wanted to look at it before I sent it away. He brought it back to me about ten minutes later good to go as a pull. He said it was easy. It can be done at home. Good Luck!! Corey

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all the replays. I may consider another trigger but I'll first check Chips idea.

John

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Here's some pics that may help

This is the release hook in place with the holding pin (circled in red) pushed half way out.

minnship8_2011_250734.jpg

Here is the pin fully extracted and the release hook being taken out, directly backwards.

minnship8_2011_250735.jpg

This is the trigger, release hook out, converted back to pull. You can see the pin fully inserted (circled in blue). If you look from the back, you will see two tiny springs underneath that pin pushing upwards. You will need to depress those while you reinsert the pin. They are tiny and easy to depress and you can do it with a steak knife.

The allen screw circled in red is your trigger tension adjuster. If your gun is like mine, you will need to cut down an allen wrench to fit in there, but then turning it adjusts your trigger pull and release tension. You will need to adjust it after removing the release hook.

minnship8_2011_250736.jpg

Hope that helps,

Chip

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Many release triggers do not have that tension adjuster shown above and if you are dis-satisfied with the trigger Pull weight after removing the release hook you will need a gunsmith to tune the sear engagement.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the pictures. I get the gun monday and I will do an update.

With any luck I won't have to have it tuned.

John

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Sending it to Allems sounds like the best option. I believe that Phil Kiner recommends to NOT have the trigger Pull weight below 4 lb as a trigger too light can lead to flinching.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks ou.3200. It took about 10 seconds and I'm back to pull.

The pull feels a little heavy but at least I can try the gun Wednesday. I'll put
a pull scale on it when I get to the club.

Thanks again ou.3200 and to everyone who replied.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts