Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at picking up a used P gun for my daughter. I have an old Comp I, so far Ive put over 30,000 rounds through it...love it, its well maintained between me and Giacomos. She is an up and coming skeet/sctp shooter, in now shooting in low 80s, high 70s in all four guns, her first year in competition.

Found a couple that interest me, for the price and brl length, she is small (currently shooting a Winch Skeet Classic 101 with Briley Tubes 26 in brl) .

Perazzi SCIT and a TM6 have popped up in my searches. Not familiar with these, Im more in tune with the COMP, MX8, Mirage guns.

Im interested in these guns for the 27.5 brl length, familiarity and comfort of working in my Perazzi, and cost. I dont want to drop 6- 8 K on a gun until Im sure she is committed. Right now her goal long goal is shooting scholarship ot Liberty U. She gets to that level, well talk about a newer gun.

Thanks, Gydyup

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have an SC1T. In reality that is a comp one skeet gun 27 1/2 inch barrels. It’s an outstanding gun for adding a tube set to. Most of them are type three guns which parts are easily available.You will not go wrong with it.

Tom

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,240 Posts
Have you thought about an inexpensive 32 inch Browning BT 99?
Did you read the post? I think he’s looking for a skeet gun.

To OP, don’t know a lot about skeet guns. Perazzis are great and they have dedicated skeet options, but to get a new or higher quality, you will spend a fair amount.

That being said, a nice used mx8 skeet with briley tubes, while more than your intended budget, will be more than serviceable and could be shot, especially if fitted, through college and beyond. I’ve seen a few MT6 here and there, but I’ve not encountered the skeet variety. Giacomo sporting may be a good place to look/call.

I think wisdom for skeet barrel length is moving past the ultra short barrels of 26” too, so you may consider a little longer, though the overall weight and balance for her frame will determine a lot. She needs to handle them. She also needs to get fit for her stock once she has one picked out.

It’s great she is getting more into the shooting sports. Good luck.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You should be able to find a good Comp 1 or MT6 skeet gun for around $3000. They both are good guns. The MT6 is a fixed trigger (non-drop out) trigger model.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
2,023 Posts
Perazzi SCIT and a TM6 have popped up in my searches. Not familiar with these, Im more in tune with the COMP, MX8, Mirage guns.
Are you sure you didn't make a typo and mean MT6? The MT6 is one of Perazzi's most underrated guns. It was designed for the 1976 Montreal Olympics, designating the MT in the model number. The MT6 has a stripped receiver. They did that so it was easily distinguishable from a distance on what gun the Olympian was shooting.

DSC_0008-2.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,548 Posts
Are you sure you didn't make a typo and mean MT6? The MT6 is one of Perazzi's most underrated guns. It was designed for the 1976 Montreal Olympics, designating the MT in the model number. The MT6 is just an MX8 with a stripped receiver. They did that so it was easily distinguishable from a distance on what gun the Olympian was shooting.

View attachment 1675721
The MT6 differs from the MX8 or Comps. No removable trigger in the MT6,

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
When my daughter was 15 she was shooting my 30" Citori for skeet with 28ga tubes in it and had no trouble. ( she actually shot it better than me from time to time)

I wouldn't go with 26" or 28" barrels...

Also, Zoli guns are becoming popular right now. They are making really good guns

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the MT6 and MS80 guns are undervalued. I have owned several and still have 2. Workhorses, they have been shot a lot and never gave trouble. Giacomo's can tune them up and available in 28, 30. and 32" with chokes. If one of them fits her you are good to go at a lower price point. IMHO. good luck

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
MT6s are one of the most underrated around...I've got a few of them. They are *not* like MX8s. Rather, they are the predecessor of the MX12. They do share the same strong lockup design as the square monobloc MX8 and MX12 though. They are fixed trigger guns with coil springs and and a selector/safety on the top tang. The barrels do not have side ribs, so no chance they’ll shoot loose. The top rib is just a little higher than flat. IIRC, they were one of the first guns to be manufactured with removable screw-in chokes as standard. There were two versions made. The earlier (and more common) version has a striped receiver and a forend latch that is unique to only MT6s...lots of folks don't like the striped look or the unique forend latch (which works just fine) so these tend to be cheaper. The later version had had a receiver that wasn't striped with a much more common Type 4 forend latch and tend to be about $1000 more expensive. I've copies of both and they handle and shoot the same. Condition and barrel length can affect value...since you want short barrels, that should work in your favor.

Most tend to use an early version of Perazzi chokes (some call them 1st Generation, Briley calls them 2nd Generation) with the threads toward the top of the choke that can be hard to find. However, Teague Chokes in the UK makes excellent ones that will fit for a very reasonable price, even with shipping from the UK. Some later ones use a choke with the the threads toward the bottom (Briley calls them 3rd Generation, I think Teague calls them “MX4”).

Other than that, stocks for fixed trigger Perazzi guns can be harder to find and tend to be more expensive than their drop trigger cousins.

I use mine quite a bit for skeet and sporting clays. I've got a Zoli Kronos that's giving them a run for their money, but I still haven't made up my mind yet.

As I said, they're a great value. I'd definitely take one over any round monobloc Perazzi and I think the safety/selector on the top tang makes it better suited for skeet and sporting where you're more likely to want to swap firing order.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Perhaps you should consider a MX3. I have a MX3CL with 28in barrels and a tube set. It is a great skeet gun and I added a 32 inch TS so I can use it as a backup for my MX2000. A MX3 should easily keep you at your price point.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
How is she supposed to shoot skeet with a BT99?
MG
It really isn't that hard once you get it down. Basically, you shoot the first target and then watch where the second targets lands. Keeping your eye on that spot, you reload without looking and the shoot the second target or at least the biggest piece.

Now, you are not going to score well but, after all, it is skeet so who cares?

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
When she's ready to move up. Buy her a Krieghoff M-32---28 inch barrels w/a full set of tubes. There are lots and lots of these used guns out there. Odds are--When she turns 18 (after hs) or 22 (after college). She will no longer shoot anymore and will not need this gun anymore. She will be too busy in her career, and will be forced to stop shooting as soon as you stop paying for it. You should be able to sell the M-32 for real, real close for what you paid for it. You can buy a used PFS stock for this gun as well. So she can dial in her gun fit and reduce recoil, without ever cutting down the original stock. A double win for her. If you buy one used? You will lose nothing when its time to sell it off the PFS as well. Having to pay for a stock guy to first cut down her stock, add adj. comb, and butt plate, and then add some LOP every other year gets expensive. You will also take a bigger hit when you try to sell the gun with a butchered up stock. Most every Skeet shooter is shooting a Krieghoff or a Kolar. Browning's & Beretta's would be able equal 3rd. I see very little P-guns in Skeet. So trying to find a good used one is going to be tough. Just a FYI. A used M-32 with a PFS stock will fit everyone. Good Luck on your Journey into the clay target sports. break em all Jeff

1 - 20 of 39 Posts