Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im contemplating buying a Perazzi MX 2005 or 2008. I have owned many other trap guns and have always heard that Perazzi is the Ferrari of all guns yet, blow springs far too often with trigger failure.
With that said - I never had a trigger issue with any gun other than my K80 (which had multiple trips to Ottsville.. to where I sold it & will never own another.
here's the Questions. I generally only shoot singles & capps - I may down the road shoot doubles. 1)are the receivers the same? 2)its just a rib height?
I shoot fast, longer neck. 3) are the barrels interchangeable to either receiver?
from all the P dealers I've recently spoken with say to change the springs every 100K rounds or every year or so?? a simple job (takes 5-10 min) if that's the case sounds better than the Kreighoff service deal of $550.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
823 Posts
1) Yes, receivers are the same, excepting markings.

2) Yes, basically just rib height, with a matching buttstock dimension. The 2008 is only in O/U configuration. Neck length has no bearing on rib height unless you have fused vertebrae or something.

3) Yes, barrels are interchangeable, usually requiring some fitting.

If the flat springs are a cause of concern, you may choose an optional coil type trigger assembly.

You're welcome, GAP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot GAP.
Is it true that to have the barrels fit = sent back to a dealer,, $500 est to fit?
Any idea of how long the turn around time is?
I'm leaning towards a 2005 unsingle

·
Vendor
19,362 Posts
Go for the '05 or better yet RS combo. Buy new 18.7 or 18.8 bore and typicla Perazzi fixed of .032. Triggers are simple adn you do not need a spare. Change the hammer spring every 10 thou shots. Remove the cocking foot fromthe top bbl and save it to your case. Easy by anyone. A new combo will allow you to change bbls from unsingle to the O/Us. You may shoot the O/Us a bit flatter than the unsingle, but you'll figure that out. Both sets of bbls should be about 1.60 KG.
Factory chokes will be noted as "00" for the .032 full, same for the top bbl of the O/U. Bottom will be usually "0000". Tehyw will measure .032 top, .020 bottom.

The book that comes will explain where the bbl will shoot as you alter the notch settings.

Perazzi has a somewhat addictive balance feel. Shoot it for a thousand shots and usually other guns will feel a bit more clunky.

Every couple 3 years have a gunsmith diassemble you trigger, oil the parts adn reassemlbe.

If shot in the rain remve the stock, dry and lightly oil the metal parts. Fuzzy rod the bbl evey week or two. use Perazzi grease on the hinge pin, the locking lug on the bbl, the receivr radius. a touch on the side of the monoblock removes vibrations. Wipe the blue parts adn the nickel parts with a lite oil i.e. Remoil.

Others can tell you what they do, but that service takes care of this gun
mia_2008_03031029.jpg

The Stock Lock is a nice addition, but the gun will not recoil more than your old K80.

Unless you know about Perazzi and can afford a new gun, buy a new gun. make sure you lube the gun prior to first assembly and then every time you shoot it.

Jack

·
Vendor
2,099 Posts
The MX2005 is a high rib gun that is available as a single barrel, O/U or as a combo gun.

The MX2008 is even a higher rib and is only available as an O/U gun.

V springs take about 1 minute to replace, I have broken 2 since 1987.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I am the 3rd or 4th owner of an MX10 top single combo, I love it, feels great, points great and I have shot my highest scores with this gun. Scott

·
Registered
823 Posts
The barrel fitting would be a guess. If mating a barrel from a new gun - within a similar production run - to the receiver it is to be fitted to, it might fit perfect. Maybe.

When oversized locking bolts, normal wear, etc., enter the equation, anything goes.

The advice given by Jack (MX2G) is very good, and represents what many others have found through experience. The MX-RS combo is excellent, though personal preference would dictate the "standard" bore size of 18.4 or 18.5, and minimum choke of .022" for the under barrel. The .020" choke is for skeet guns.

Do not get hyped up on "tall rib syndrome".

Get hold of Bonillas or Ray Stafford and order the gun fitted to your dimensions instead of off the rack. You'll then have the gun you will end up with anyway.

And save expense and aggravation.

Good luck, GAP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for your help.. especially, GAP. don't be surprised if I reach out to you once again in the next few months. Have a great holiday.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Be aware that all USA Perazzi's have a 3" chamber. I once called California to find out "why"? They said "American's like the HCP loads, and the 3" chamber reduces recoil". Take that info for what it's worth.

·
Vendor
19,362 Posts
Barry. That seems quite odd, considering that the chamber length is stated on the bbl... ya know?

I'll see if my stuff will measure it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts