Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 32" step rib barrel that seems to be loose in the back portion of the rib. It still shoots well and I dont hear any clinging sound yet. Should I have it resoldered or should I shoot it some more? Where can I send it to get fixed and around how much does it usually cost? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I had pretty good luck with JB wield for the top rib.

·
Registered
13,409 Posts
Pull the rib back as much as you can without using any real force (you just want to separate it, not pry it off the gun). Stick a couple toothpicks in to hold it off the barrel. Hose everything down real good with the cheapest carburetor cleaner you can find (the cheap stuff dries clean, the more expensive stuff has additives that leave an oily film). Wait for everything to dry. Spread some Loctite Black Max on the back of the rib where it contacts the barrel. Press in place, and clamp down with a couple spring clamps. Let it sit overnight, come back the next day, clean up any excess with some acetone, wipe your barrels down with an oily rag, and go shoot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull the rib back as much as you can without using any real force (you just want to separate it, not pry it off the gun). Stick a couple toothpicks in to hold it off the barrel. Hose everything down real good with the cheapest carburetor cleaner you can find (the cheap stuff dries clean, the more expensive stuff has additives that leave an oily film). Wait for everything to dry. Spread some Loctite Black Max on the back of the rib where it contacts the barrel. Press in place, and clamp down with a couple spring clamps. Let it sit overnight, come back the next day, clean up any excess with some acetone, wipe your barrels down with an oily rag, and go shoot.
Thank you for this.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Do not put the barrel on the receiver or the forend on the barrel when cleaning with carb cleaner. You might get lucky and not affect the wood finish, you might not.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Pulsepowered: Has the Perazzi barrel with a loose rib had any bore modifications done (e.g., back-bored, forcing cones lengthened, etc.)? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,003 Posts
Pulse,
Mine came loose on a MX8, I sent to Giacomo and he resoldered it, only came with a 1 year warranty after the repair but that was probably 10 years ago, is still as good as it was when returned from him

·
Registered
534 Posts
My MX 2000 ramp rib was loose for about the 1st 5-6" from the receiver. I sent it Perazzi USA. They resoldered it for $300. Because it had the cones removed they wouldn't warranty the work. Al Kondak, the manager at Perazzi USA told me they had never had a repaired one returned. Since the repair I've put 9,000 rounds through the barrels without any problems.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
A common way to deal with a loose rib is to glue it and sell the gun.
This is unethical.

Hi -temp Permatex RTV gasket sealant works fine and won't break like brittle epoxy from recoil. Use the toothpick trick. Rubbing alcohol for cleaning. Rubber bands to hold rib in place. Will last forever, cost $8.00.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ShortStop:
I used the Permatex sealant to attach a Sight Blinder but removed it later. Excellent product; however, how do I remove the residue from my rib? Tried all the standard cleaners without success.

Thanks,

Doc

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Doc, try rubbing it with a dry rag. It should just roll into clumps. If not, good old lacquer thinner will do the trick but do not get it on the wood! The LT will soften it up enough to roll into clumps. The best bet if you are just attaching something is clean off all you can while it is still wet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
how is this so common with a high dollar gun like Perazzi ? It"s as bad as the cheap ass firing pins Krieghoff uses , and they tell you don't use cheap ammo, but all the other guns , browning, beretta , guerini , don"t have pin problems with the cheap ammo. Please explain ??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts