Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MX8 that has a"twanging" noise when I shoot. I presume it comes from the leaf springs in the trigger. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
You should not hear any noise at all from the leaf springs. The more likely culprit is either a loose top rib, or loose side rib. Check them to be sure they are firmly soldered to the barrels.... If you have an aftermarket recoil reduction devise installed, there may be something there as well...

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Do you have an adjustable comb? If so, what are you using for spacers? I used gold metal washers once that were a little larger (hole) than the metal posts. Took a little while to find out what the twang was..

Steve

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The only way you can check a barrel for rib detachment unless it's falling off is to remove the ejectors and hang it by a piece of wire and tap it, If it rings clear like a bell all is good if it has any distortion then its the rib. What you may be hearing is an overly hardened hammer when it strikes the firing pin. Early Perazzi's were famous for the ping and twang from overly hardened hammers and ejectors especially the TM series. If both barrels are twanging then it may be the rib. I would pull the ejectors and do the bell test then go from there.

Surfer

·
Registered
32,608 Posts
Is it a Northern twanging or a Southern twanging, or can you tell?:018:

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
If you're going to do the test Surfer suggested, remove choke tubes too if you have them in the barrel.

But the most common noise is from recoil devise.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You should not hear any noise at all from the leaf springs. The more likely culprit is either a loose top rib, or loose side rib. Check them to be sure they are firmly soldered to the barrels.... If you have an aftermarket recoil reduction devise installed, there may be something there as well...
think I'll go with Dan on this one.

jack mc

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'm betting someone from Ohio vandalized it for spite because of moving the Grand from Vandalia.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
After I got my DT-11 and shot a few hundred rounds through it I had a "twang" and the rear of my top rib had loosened up. A little blue Locktite on the screw and snug it up, no more twang! Steve

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Well Rick it's a Southern Pacific Coast twang and clearly understood by those who live close to the ocean blue, Steve W knows this sound. You're right Steve should have mentioned the choke tubes.

Surfer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts