Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Looking for some help putting a value on the Perazzi MX8 that was handed down to me from my father.
This gun is not up for sale, just wondering if anyone could help with what it may be worth.

What I do know is that its an Ithaca Perazzi MX8 (trap I think?) that was manufactured in 1978. The s/n is in the 51XXX range, and they match on all pieces. Please see the pictures below.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

·
Registered
18,712 Posts
Looks rougher than a cob, abused, neglected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He used to shoot competitive trap with it back in the late 80's early 90's so it got quite a bit of use I'm assuming. I ended up with it when he passed 2 years ago and its just been sitting in its case, prior to that was probably untouched for about 5-10 years.

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
Don't sell it! you need to keep every gun! I think it's a law? Send it out to Giacomo and get a nice shiny new gun back. = Happiness when others envy and drool over it. Then and only then trade for something you buddy has that you can make him regret trading every time he sees you. It's the only way to be truly happy! LOL
Aloha

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Sure is a Trap combo. Assuming its 32/34".

A type III MX8 top single combo in that home made bluing touch up/rust condition with all barrels ported would worth around $3500~4000. Case, and two triggers included.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Listen to Steve W. His estimate would be a retail price, in my opinion.

When you get ready to list it you will need different photos of important wear points common to any break open gun ... and, additionally, some important dimensions. Feel free to PM me for help. Good luck.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
I'd go with uncocking hammers first. Have someone who knows what they're doing completely disassemble clean and lube the thing.

always hard to argue with Steve W

Reactions: Steve W

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I'd go with uncocking hammers first. Have someone who knows what they're doing completely disassemble clean and lube the thing.

always hard to argue with Steve W
That'll be the first thing I'll do, uncocking the hammers. Both sets of the trigger groups.
It might not do any good to this old, tired gun, but still, I'll release the hammers with my thumb and get a feeling of the springs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the input. I found a local shop and have spoken with the owner. Going to take it over to him this evening so he can check it out.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
An average gun shop owner will not be able to correctly price this gun in my opinion. There are alot of relative factors that you left out.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
That gun has Perazzi leaf springs,not coil springs.....many many people have said that leaving them cocked does NO harm. I'm one of those people...I never uncock mine and mine is older than the one pictured. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace. If the locking block is badly worn it too can be replaced and the gun will be good to go....its worth at least 3 grand as is and probably more. That Ithaca import MX 8 is one of the best guns Perazzi ever made and well worth restoring to shootable condition if it currently is not.....my guess is that it is probably good to go as is..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts