Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I just got a lovely old MX8 in great condition. It's a '78 and is a type 4 forend with a type 3 (for lack of a better description) reciever, it has the top lever trip at 12 o'clock. It could possibly do with a top lever return spring. I see there are plenty of instructions online for replacing the spring on the newer type top lever but nothing on the older type. Anyone know how one goes about changing said spring? Also, are the top lever and locking block the same or interchangeable on the type 3 and type 4 recievers???

I live in Ireland so I can't send it to Giacomo or any of the other P gun experts you guys have over there.

Thanks a mill.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hi, I have a late 70's vintage MX8 Mirage and years ago had to replace the top leaver. I did it myself at the time and I do remember there is a knack and you need to be careful about a little tiny plunger and spring when you loosen the top leaver as they fly forward like a rocket and are easily lost. [did that] I think the newer top leaver need to be modified as they are thicker and stronger in the shaft and need the scollop to be ground out more.
As it is one of my back ups these days its hardly used and I never had it out again as I was fortunate and able to get it rebuilt by Giacomo a few years back at the Southern Grand.
How about a call to Chis Potter or Gary at "The Sportmen Gun Center" in the UK and see if they can suggest someone in Ireland for you.
Cheers and good luck.
Devonian

·
Registered
594 Posts
JNP Gunsprings that is a dealer on this site sells a tool for $50 or $60 dollars that makes this job a snap. Whiz White at Southwest Shooters Supply has diagrams and instructions on his website for the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts