Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just joined to learn more about trap shooting and partly because I was hoping to get some knowledgeable opinions on a gun I came across the other day. I have been getting back in to trap this year and have been using my Remington V3 hunting gun so far. I've started looking for a new gun that is dedicated to trap shooting. I was in a shop the other day and I saw this gun sitting on the shelf. Wood seemed to be good, I didn't notice any cracks on the forend or stock. I couldn't notice any movement in the barrels when locked up and it seemed to fit me pretty well as it was. My main concern was the condition of both barrels. The top single barrel had a lot of carbon build up around the rib where the barrel is ported. Both barrels had some surface rust and blemishes in the finish. I couldn't see any rust inside the barrels and they looked straight with no bulging. It also comes with two trigger groups. They have it listed for 6500 but said they would go to 5000. I couldn't get them under 5 because they say they would lose money.

I guess my questions for all of you who know a lot more than me about these guns are is the barrel condition a big concern? Does this seem to be a decent value at 5000? Or is that kind of money better spent somewhere else? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Perazzi TM1/Browning Citori XT
693 Posts
What a shame to neglect that gun and allow rust to take hold. It will clean up with 0000 steel wool and some oil but you'll be left with pitting no doubt. I'd be looking to see where the top lever sits once the gun is locked up and have a good look at the breech face, trigger assembly etc for any abnormal wear. If all looks good then go for it for $5000.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Walk in with 4750.00 cash and take it home!!!! Nothing on that gun that can't be made close to new condition with a little work and a little extra cash. OR...........as Jack stated..........shoot it for years!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Are both barrels ribbed the same and are they numbered to the receiver? I cannot tell real well from the pics but that O/U barrel is not a MX8 stepped rib barrel. A MX 8 Special barrel? Tom

·
Registered
324 Posts
My Mx 8 has a hardened insert on the breech face from the factory to minimize peening at the primer hole, I would check the breech carefully although it can be corrected.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Is the gun a combo? Be positive the gun fits you well especially the LOP. The stock looks short in your last pic but maybe it's just the way it looks in the photo. There is a nice MX8 combo in the four sale section for $6,000.00 but I realize you can't purchase on this site yet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Where did you find this at? I’m pretty certain I know who the previous owner was. I was wondering where his Perazzis ended up. Many of his other guns were auctioned off, but I never saw his Perazzi auctioned. I suspect one of his family members inherited this gun in the will and then sold it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Unless you know and trust the previous owner don't buy anything without bore mic'ing it first.
That bottom barrel looks a little bulged up from the pic.
It they were too lazy to clean the carbon off the ports to sell it they are lazy POS's and who knows what else they are hiding.
Might have left the carbon on to hide cracks between the ports?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What a shame to neglect that gun and allow rust to take hold. It will clean up with 0000 steel wool and some oil but you'll be left with pitting no doubt. I'd be looking to see where the top lever sits once the gun is locked up and have a good look at the breech face, trigger assembly etc for any abnormal wear. If all looks good then go for it for $5000.
Should the top lever be pretty centered? from what I remember it was and it definitely looked like the single barrel in the combo had been used much more as the wear on the top part of the beech face around the firing pin showed a lot more wear than the bottom. I am obviously new to these guns so other than obvious damage or wear, i wasn't sure what to look for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the gun a combo? Be positive the gun fits you well especially the LOP. The stock looks short in your last pic but maybe it's just the way it looks in the photo. There is a nice MX8 combo in the four sale section for $6,000.00 but I realize you can't purchase on this site yet.
It is a combo. It has a 34 single barrel and the o/u pictured, all fixed choke. It also has an extra trigger group included. I do think it is the angle of the picture because I'm about 6'4" and the LOP was good.

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
If the bores are good and Duck's concern checks out, it's a pretty fair price. If the single is in good shape you will only "need" to have the o/u barrels reblued.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are both barrels ribbed the same and are they numbered to the receiver? I cannot tell real well from the pics but that O/U barrel is not a MX8 stepped rib barrel. A MX 8 Special barrel? Tom
I believe they were both ribbed the same from memory and the numbers on the barrel matched the ones on the receiver. I'm not sure if they did special barrels on these ata 100th anniversary ones or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go back tomorrow and check it over again for the things you all have pointed out. Some of it could be the pictures. I tried to snap a few real quick in some bad light before I left. I wish I could have someone check it out before I buy it, but if it seems good I will probably go ahead and take it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts