Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I shoot a MX3 special combo. I personally love the way the gun handles more so than any other Perazzi I’ve owned. My question is: why the cult following? It’s a great gun and all but far from a big deal. Maybe someone could enlighten me!
Best regards,
Bat

·
Banned
715 Posts
I can certainly understand how much this is bothering you , sleepless nights , anxiety attacks , even the shakes at times ?
If you would like a Cure , please PM me and I'll take that Devilish thing off your hands ? :waiting:

·
Registered
996 Posts
I shoot one as well and have no idea why they are better than the rest, but yes they are better. All I know is mine points more intuitively than MX8, MX10RS and MX10. Only the MX15 is close to the MX3 Special "pointability". Your results may vary.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t know either. It’s about as plain Jane as you can get but I love the darn thing . Thinking about being buried with it. I may need it in the afterlife.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
The MX3 Specials were produced at one of the very peaks of Perazzi handwork quality. *

They had 0.724" bores and the full chokes were about 0.038" and the IM's about 0.028".

I've tested several of them against all comers doing real patterning, that is, counting the pellet from 10 shots and analyzing the results. I've tested tuned barrels from many popular barrel smiths and while they shoot as well as MX3's, they shoot no better when standard statistical tests are used. Nor do they shoot any worse. While one of my 870's was maybe better in one test, in general, there is limit to how tightly trap shotguns shoot. And MX3's are right there in the top mix. With lots of other guns, including old Wingmasters and 1100's. And 682 Brettas

* Mid 70s MX8's, serial numbers around 46,500, are top, top shooters as well. I loaned two out to friends and they both because All-Americans. One of them won a handicap at the Grand with his a few years ago,

The recent 0.740 guns shoot no differently than the great old ones.

http://www.claytargettesting.com/Bore_Diameter/Bore_Diameter.pdf

Neil

PS: Full and extra full chokes shoot about the same. Changing from one to the other in either direction will probably make no change and if it does there is no way to predict which way it will change. Tables of pattern percentages are idealized sanitary fairy tales of a messy world.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the information Neal. I use a OEM #8 flush choke in the top single for everything. I’ve been thinking of trying an extended Briley .030 but don’t know if I’d gain anything.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Quality gun at a entry level price made it and keeps it desirable to many shooters. Next to my TM1, my all time favorite shooter was a MX3 Special with fixed chokes. Sold it thinking I needed one with screw in choke tubes. Got a MX8 that just never quite fit me as well. Sure wish I had the MX3 back

·
Registered
838 Posts
The MX3 Specials were produced at one of the very peaks of Perazzi handwork quality. *

They had 0.724" bores and the full chokes were about 0.038" and the IM's about 0.028".

I've tested several of them against all comers doing real patterning, that is, counting the pellet from 10 shots and analyzing the results. I've tested tuned barrels from many popular barrel smiths and while they shoot as well as MX3's, they shoot no better when standard statistical tests are used. Nor do they shoot any worse. While one of my 870's was maybe better in one test, in general, there is limit to how tightly trap shotguns shoot. And MX3's are right there in the top mix. With lots of other guns, including old Wingmasters and 1100's. And 682 Brettas

* Mid 70s MX8's, serial numbers around 46,500, are top, top shooters as well. I loaned two out to friends and they both because All-Americans. One of them won a handicap at the Grand with his a few years ago,

The recent 0.740 guns shoot no differently than the great old ones.

http://www.claytargettesting.com/Bore_Diameter/Bore_Diameter.pdf

Neil

PS: Full and extra full chokes shoot about the same. Changing from one to the other in either direction will probably make no change and if it does there is no way to predict which way it will change. Tables of pattern percentages are idealized sanitary fairy tales of a messy world.
Oh the P gun people might not like the 870 reference, but I’ll agree, great chokes on Remington barrels.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I shoot with a guy that has a very special MX3 special. It's a 3 barrel set, fixed chokes with #'s matching. 34" for singles, 34" for hdcp and 32" O/U for doubles. All 3 barrels are Seitz choked and I don't know how one could smoke targets any harder.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A recently passed friend of mine shot one with so many weights attached to it it wasn’t funny. I think it weighed about 13 pounds!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Why does the MX-3 Special have a crazed cult like following ?? The easiest and perhaps the best answer is that many P-Gun buyers tend to be a bit on the whacko side. It won't change how the gun fits, swings, or shoots - all the serial numbers must match. To me, this is the dumbest demand a buyer can insist on. these are not nor will they ever be collector guns. They are tools for trapshooting.

On the real and true side, MX-3 Special receivers weigh several ounces less than their MX 8 counterparts. On the negative side is the MX-3 special guns are old and they shoot flat - just like the single barrel TMs. Why they are in demand is anyones guess. It sure isn't a factual reason. I put one of mine to good use as a platform to build a real trapgun on. Nothing on this gun is from the same model or year.
P-gun.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I honestly think that it started out as a affordable combo that was the same as the MX8 lock up but had the plain sides and were priced from $800-$1000 cheaper. One thing that all the P gun shooters liked was the slightly higher rib then the then king the MX8. The rib was the same rib as on the regular MX3. Another thing is that the Special didn't have the rounded monoblock as the MX3. The handling characteristics of the Special was far better then the MX3 as it was a bit more balanced as well as moved just a tad slower. They were very fine guns. Many shot theses guns well. I do remember that when they were closing these guns out one could buy a complete combo cased for about $3500-$3700.
I have no documentation on this but it was told that Daniel Perazzi stated that it was his favorite of all the guns he manufactured. If this gun was made today it would without a doubt be the cream of the crop for Perazzi Sales.

·
Vendor
19,101 Posts
Slickhead says it well. I will add too that the MX3 coincided with the Dan Bonillas era and the excellent shooters (our own "Chee40" comes to mind) that followed in his foot steps. Dan single-handedly took the round mono-block MX3 to prominence. Like Slick said the rib was a bit more attractive, shot a touch higher and the weight and balance of the round mono was perfect for those that could handle a lighter weight gun. NOte too, that new guns today tend to be lighter and not in the 10-12# range. But, the round mono had one flaw and that was that the receiver cracked at the trigger housing. The MX3 Special corrected that. The Special still weighed less, seemed faster to the target and had great balance. And the Dan Bonillas influence carried on. It's too bad that Perazzi cannot see clearly that there still is a market for the combo especially. Still they are right in that shooters want NEW and new ideas. One of our TS.com regulars shoots an all original metal but has added a Pro-Soft Set and the gun is easily the eye-catcher in the club rack. Better than my old RS with neglected patina, gold glitz trigger../ Perhaps I am a bit jealous. Well, maybe.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts