Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just noticed this crack developing on the forend of my MX2000. If anyone has any recommendations where I can get this fixed, I would appreciate your input. I am not sure if this can be repaired, or if it needs to be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Check the inside, if it's right at where the two iron bolts screw into the nuts, it'll need extensive work and re-enforcements to keep it from cracking again.

Reactions: Joe Trapalino

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your responses. Talked to the people at Giacomo and decided in for a penny, in for a pound! I'm having the whole shotgun worked on - refinish stock, and re-blue barrel / receiver. And of course new wood for the forend.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Thank you for your responses. Talked to the people at Giacomo and decided in for a penny, in for a pound! I'm having the whole shotgun worked on - refinish stock, and re-blue barrel / receiver. And of course new wood for the forend.
A simple $100~150 forearm wood replacement can turn into a $1000 overhaul real quick. :)

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
For re-bluing, refinish stock, and overhaul Perazzi, you can also talk to Phillip Crenwelge on TS ([email protected]), I had great experiences with his work in many cases, for much more reasonable cost, and fast turnaround time.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A simple $100~150 forearm wood replacement can turn into a $1000 overhaul real quick. :)
So true. But I have been thinking about an overhaul for a while now. Since they wanted both barrels to make sure the new forend fit correctly, I figured I'd just send the whole gun. My MX2000 has saved me a fortune in other trap guns. It's all I really want to shoot.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
My MX2000 has saved me a fortune in other trap guns. It's all I really want to shoot.
I totally understand what you're saying.
30 some years ago I started with a relatively inexpensive MX8B, then with predicted temptations as a shotgun person, I went through a dozen other makers/models then came back to couple MX8 based guns, it's hard to realize I had a perfect gun at the beginning without trying others.
So, regardless what kind of engravings or sideplates, all I shoot now are basically different versions of the old MX8.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
I have been thinking about an overhaul for a while now.
We "overhaul" a Perazzi typically after 50~80,000 rounds (depend on which barrel shot more) when the top lever stopped at the left side of 6. And it usually cost approx. $300 if you sent it to the right person.

Re-bluing is subject to how you hold the gun. If you can keep your paws off the receiver, you probably never need to re-blue it.
I have old MX8 that had excessive of 100,000 rounds through it, two sets of springs, one new firing pin, new locking bolt, new stock, but it doesn't need re-blue because I don't hold the gun by receiver and I shoot with gloves (for better grips without hand pressure).

Reactions: Sport-Trap
1 - 10 of 10 Posts