Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me about this model? From someone who has actually owned one and shot it. Does it shoot high? I know the bbl looks similar to the DB81, but they shot pretty flat ( from what I’m told). With the
MX-2 it shoots top first, which I was told by a friend because they can actually bend the top up to shoot high. So does both bbl’s shoot high? (Hopefully).
Thanks, can anyone that owns or owned one please chime in, thanks...

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have one that I have used as a pigeon gun for years. It shoots high. As the “L” indicates, it is a light Perazzi with no side ribs. I think the standard model would be better for ATA trap.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Here is copy & past from Google search of Perazzi MX-2

Discussion Starter • #1 Feb 16, 2016

This thread is for Steve W in particular.

Lippard states (page 21), that this model 1982-1986, is top firing, ramped 8.2mm rib, with vented side rib for OT and Pigeon. He goes on to say that MX2L has the same characteristics but is lighter due to lack of side ribs.

Be that as it may, I have an MX2L USA with the same top rib and no side ribs , choke full and extra full, bottom barrel firing. The choking is as factory and so far as I can ascertain the tree is the same as factory. Firing pins are cutaway type. The number is 608XX.

Now I have a friend who has an MX2 L no. 765XX exactly as described by Lippard

What have I got, besides a very nice Perazzi ? SteveB

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="miketmx"]https://www.trapshooters.com/d1/avatars/m/0/115.jpg?1403143329[/IMG]
miketmx
Registered

Joined Jan 29, 1998
3,664 Posts
#2 Feb 16, 2016 (Edited)

I have a Perazzi USA catalog of that era and it shows Olympic Trap Standard Models for MX2 and MX2L exactly as described by Lippard with both of them firing Top barrel first. The rib is listed as High 11 x 11. Of interest is that Olympic Trap Model DB81 is shown on the same page and it is Bottom barrel first firing sequence. The rib is listed as High 11 x 6.5. The DB81 Combo for American Trap had 2 Barrel sets (the single barrel was a Top single) and 2 removable trigger assemblies.

Reactions:J V Macrobius
SaveShare
Reply Quote

M
MOP
Registered

Joined Feb 18, 2008
584 Posts
#3 Feb 16, 2016

If barrels, receiver, and trigger serial numbers match, and the barrels are marked xfull over full, you apparently have a custom ordered MX2L.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Steve W"]https://www.trapshooters.com/d1/avatars/m/6/6091.jpg?1447752241[/IMG]
Steve W
Registered

Joined Jan 29, 1998
7,674 Posts
#4 Feb 17, 2016 (Edited)

What have I got, besides a very nice Perazzi ?
The short answer to your question is: "You have a bottom firing MX2L." :)

Although my friend Karl L.'s book contents some misinformed informations, but he is correct on the MX2L.
They're suppose be a top firing model very similar to MX1/MX1L.

However, through out the years I have encountered two MX2L with bottom firing configuration (and choked accordingly).
I wasn't too curious about them so I never made any effort to find out how, simply because I have seen a few totally out of "standard" Perazzi guns that were 100% factory original.
One being my friend's MX2000 unsingle with a 6 notch adj. rib from MX15. He ordered it at the SHOT show with me (and paid accordingly).
The other one was my three O/U barrel set/two stock, Sporting Gun that went through Litt's in U.K. when exchanging rate was in our favor during the last century.

I'm not sure your MX2L was a special ordered gun, but it'll be interesting if someone would do that, it's not economical since you can buy a MX8 with any rib you want with a better (possible) resale value without the effort of explaining to the next buyer what it is, or trying to prove its all original if the buyer even knew what it was.

Anyway, it's a very nice shotgun as is, enjoy it.

STEVE W(wang) is THE Perazzi expert
Charles in Bluefield - Come shoot Tri-Angle Gun Club with us.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Check out this:
SOLD _ F/S PERAZZI MX-2-L EXTRA NICE GUN!!***
MX-2-L "L" may be for Live since the gun was imported as a "live bird" gun.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Check out this:
SOLD _ F/S PERAZZI MX-2-L EXTRA NICE GUN!!***
MX-2-L "L" may be for Live since the gun was imported as a "live bird" gun.
As far as I know “L” stands for either lightweight or lusso (luxury).
If the MX2 has no mid rib, then it’s probably lightweight. If it’s full of fancy engraving it’s probably lusso.
Just my 2c.

·
Vendor
2,189 Posts
I believe they usually shoot pretty flat, if the rib is parallel to the bore line, they will shoot flat.

shoot it on paper to know for sure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts