Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of the first Perazzi gun that Ennio Mattarelli used? Any pics? I believe it was the early sidelock design. I’m just curious as I own the Fabbri book from Lippard and it is an interesting read, I love reading about the early pigeon shooting circuit, and aspire to one day own a Fabbri, an absolute grail of mine and I believe THE finest shotgun ever built period. Thanks.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,763 Posts
Do you mean the first Perazzi?.....I believe it was an MX-8.

Ivo Fabbri joined up with Danielle after he started Perazzi Armi. Fabbri was a designer for Fiat, beforehand. They were both enamored with the legendary Boss and Woodward guns, and thus copied their locking system. Fabbri was really no better than Danielle Perazzi.
Perazzi, Fabbri, Bertuzzi, Bosis, Rizzini, A&S, all use the Boss system for their O/U's..... the main difference is in the engraving, and even then, they use many of the same engravers.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was under the impression this was before the max-8 boxlock and he was shooting a side lock gun. As for them all being similar I think that’s true to a degree, with Fabbri the attention to detail is amazing and the superior steel used being some sort of vacuum melt something another? I’ve only handled two Fabbri shotgun,
And yes the Rizzini side x side with single trigger may just be the most amazing SxS available from what I’ve read. The reason I was asking these questions is I’ve been looking at some early Perazzi side lock guns and one has a very attractive price, as much as I like shooting sports I also enjoy fine shotguns as well. And get an itch couple times a year to own something different. As I’ve owned a half a dozen Kreighoff of different grade and same with Perazzi mx8 and 12 guns. My most recent gun is a high grade Kolar. My first one and wanted to try one. I’ll stop blabbering now, thanks

·
Registered
32,293 Posts
I was under the impression this was before the max-8 boxlock and he was shooting a side lock gun. As for them all being similar I think that’s true to a degree, with Fabbri the attention to detail is amazing and the superior steel used being some sort of vacuum melt something another? I’ve only handled two Fabbri shotgun,
And yes the Rizzini side x side with single trigger may just be the most amazing SxS available from what I’ve read. The reason I was asking these questions is I’ve been looking at some early Perazzi side lock guns and one has a very attractive price, as much as I like shooting sports I also enjoy fine shotguns as well. And get an itch couple times a year to own something different. As I’ve owned a half a dozen Kreighoff of different grade and same with Perazzi mx8 and 12 guns. My most recent gun is a high grade Kolar. My first one and wanted to try one. I’ll stop blabbering now, thanks

“In 1964 Daniele Perazzi received a visit from a man from Bologna: Ennio Mattarelli, a Trap shooter with a reputation for success having won the Olympic Trap World Championship in 1961. Already in 1964 Mattarelli had won the Grande Italia together with the European Championship and now his ambitions were focused on the Olympics to be held in Tokyo that October.

At this time Mattarelli was using a Browning gun but he had heard of the very special over-and-under Daniele Perazzi was making to order. It was a sidelock, which took many of its design cues from English guns as made by James Woodward and Boss and Co. A sidelock, with its elegant low profile action body, was created by way of a bifurcated locking bolt coming forward on each side of the breech face and engaging with bearing surfaces machined in the monobloc above the bottom barrel. Further security and strength was added by jointing that took the form of slots machined at the side of the monobloc that closed over wedges integral to the walls of the action body. All these bearing surfaces were dimensionally larger than similar arrangements to be found in the English game guns, but as a Trap gun the Perazzi was significantly more robust.”

The Perazzi Story

·
Registered
586 Posts
Does anyone know of the first Perazzi gun that Ennio Mattarelli used? Any pics? I believe it was the early sidelock design. I’m just curious as I own the Fabbri book from Lippard and it is an interesting read, I love reading about the early pigeon shooting circuit, and aspire to one day own a Fabbri, an absolute grail of mine and I believe THE finest shotgun ever built period. Thanks.
My understanding is that Danielle Perazzi and Ivo Fabbri worked together to produce the sidelock gun that Matarelli used to win gold at the 1964 Olympics. Some time after that Perazzi and Fabbri went their separate ways. Perazzi was interested in making the finest competition gun and Fabbri was interested in making the finest shotgun ever produced. Len Pucinelli put Fabbri on the map for pigeon shooting.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Not the first Perazzi (known as SHO today) Mattarelli won the Olympic, but his idea of higher rib made the famous MX8 we know today that really matters.
It'll be great if he won his second gold in '68 Olympic at Mexico City with this MX8, but he didn't.

However, the MX8 made Perazzi.

It could very well be the first competition shotgun with a top rib higher than anything else at the time (now we see MX2005 & MX2008).

Reactions: 4th. down

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
the shotgun was sideloch I held it in my hand two weeks ago. Tomorrow I'll show you some photos
Thank you Marcello, that'll be a real treat.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
have you noticed the system that loads the hammers? is similar to the sidexside in this way it was possible to build a low reicever
Yes, hammers are cocked through side fences instead of under rod, combining with Boss locking bolt made a very low profile receiver.
This is also how to put shooter's hand closer to the bore axis.

Completely opposite of Browning principle.

Reactions: Old_Diabetic_100

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
MATTARELLI ENNIO

FITAV - Federazione Italiana Tiro a Volo

1964 Tokyo Olympic Games
1st Ennio Mattarelli (Italia)
2nd Pavel Senitschev (USSR)
3rd William Morris (USA)

Drew,

Most interesting. In the first two films showing Mattarelli and Rossini, one of the shooters 1 station ahead of each of them is Joe Wheater (short and stocky wearing a darker shooting jacket........not a skeet vest........and a peaked cap) who represented GB in several Olympics. I knew Joe pretty well because he was one of my heroes when I was a kid. He was always "Mr Wheater" to me and was equally good at trap, skeet and sporting........the Digweed of his day.

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts