Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sake of consistency, after how many rounds do you replace the hammer spring in your perazzi?

Here lately (the last 1000 targets) I've noticed my scores in all 3 disciplines have been steadily declining. I've shot about 4500 registered targets this year so far plus uncountable practices and games. My scores were very consistent in the first 3500 targets, 98+ singles, 94+ handicap, and 90+ in doubles on average. Now I'm shooting in the 80's for handicap, 92-94 in singles, and 80's in doubles. I haven't adjusted anything on the gun but my scores are going down. I'm being told by reputable shooters that I'm consistently over and in front of targets.

Today a gentleman mentioned that I should think about replacing the hammer springs if my scores are steadily going down.

The gun is an MX-10 RS combo that I bought used and haven't replaced anything on it since I bought it. I've put an estimated 6,000 shells through it, but have no idea how many the previous owner shot.

My question is, could a weak spring really affect your score that much? For the future, when should I replace the springs to avoid this situation again?

Thanks for any input. BYG

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
You ain't that quick. Just what time differential do you think there is between an old and new spring?

It is really hard to be over and in front of targets. Lock the trap and close your off eye and see where you are shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Really good question. I replace mine only if they break! I've been shooting the same old precision gold trigger for a long time and have yet to replace one on that thing. I did replace one for a gentleman on his MX- 8 bunker gun the other day. Said it was the first one that had ever been replaced on it since he owned it. In your situation I would just go ahead and replace them if you have no faith in the trigger's performance. As your know...........anything in this game that screws with your head needs to be dealt with ASAP!!!!!!........JMHO......

·
Registered
18,667 Posts
For sake of consistency, after how many rounds do you replace the hammer spring in your perazzi?

Here lately (the last 1000 targets) I've noticed my scores in all 3 disciplines have been steadily declining. I've shot about 4500 registered targets this year so far plus uncountable practices and games. My scores were very consistent in the first 3500 targets, 98+ singles, 94+ handicap, and 90+ in doubles on average. Now I'm shooting in the 80's for handicap, 92-94 in singles, and 80's in doubles. I haven't adjusted anything on the gun but my scores are going down. I'm being told by reputable shooters that I'm consistently over and in front of targets.

Today a gentleman mentioned that I should think about replacing the hammer springs if my scores are steadily going down.

The gun is an MX-10 RS combo that I bought used and haven't replaced anything on it since I bought it. I've put an estimated 6,000 shells through it, but have no idea how many the previous owner shot.

My question is, could a weak spring really affect your score that much? For the future, when should I replace the springs to avoid this situation again?

Thanks for any input. BYG
Take it to the pattern board and check point of impact vs point of aim.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I was told to change the leaf springs in the spring of each year before you start shooting registered trap. that the lock time gets quicker and the triggers
get lighter just before they break.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
The difference in lock time between new and old Perazzi flat springs are not enough for us to miss a bird.

I think the issue is mostly between your ears. Like most things in our life.
However, since trap is mostly a mind's game, you might just change the spring and see what happens.
I took more vitamins in flu season, it makes me feel better going out to public places. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Absolutely not, typically Perazzi hammer springs are replaced when they break. Someone who would allege that as the trigger spring weakens, it slows the hammer fall to the degree that a shooters timing is effected to the extent that they will miss targets, is clutching at straws. I just spoke to the shooter who won the Clay Target Championship at the Grand this year (200x200 Event 15 + 200x200 Event 21 + 525x525 shoot off) and he says that he thinks it was 2 or 3 years ago that he changed the bottom hammer spring in his MX10 RS.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you do not already, get a trigger pull scale and check your triggers once a month. Replace leaf spring when it breaks. Tom

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't adjusted the gun since I bought it.

Trigger pull is the same. Dead on 3lbs.

I'm using the same AMMO.

I am groping at straws here, I don't have a clue as to what could possibly be going on. Someone mentioned the hammer spring and I thought I'd get some input on it.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Have your vision tested. I just had cataract surgery on my right eye because a new RX in my shooting glasses was not doing the job.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For leaf springs they typically work right up to the point when they snap and fail. Once in the past 14 years I had a leaf spring crack (it started on the interior side of at the apex of the bend). I was getting light hammer strike and fails to fire. Quick inspection under a bright light revealed the crack...it looked like a thin black jagged line...installed a new spring and all was well. Hope this helps.
Good Shooting
Gavin

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just checked the trigger pull, the pull weights are 5lbs and 7lbs using a precision rifle trigger pull gauge. Thats a long way from the 2.5lbs and 3.5lbs the triggers were when I got the gun.

Any ideas how the trigger got this way?

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Those springs are alive, and building muscle.

Reactions: JACK

·
Premium Member
10,496 Posts
It's rare for p triggers to get heavier over time ... Usually they soften.

If your gauge is accurate, you need to find out why it's heavy. Somethings screwy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You are 27, you will experience a lot of ups and downs in the future. I don't think it was the spring.
If the trigger pulls indeed became heavier, you can try cleaning it.

·
Vendor
19,091 Posts
Began at 3.5 and now double that? No. But I can tell you that going from a usual trigger at 3.5# and now 7# (or 5#) will cause you to shoot in front and over the targets that were easy a few months ago. You need to gt that gun to a competent smith that handles target guns as a rule. YOu did something to the gun to cause the change...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts