Trapshooters Forum banner

Perazzi comp1 type vs MX8 type?

1783 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  heckofagator
Are the type designations between the two models the same? i.e. type 3 is ok for the right price, type 4 is newer and will generally cost more?

I came across a type 1 at Giacomo's and just wondering if that means its super old or if the types are different between the two? I kinda like the extra engraving on the comp1 and they seem to come in both the case hardened or bright Nickle, both of which I prefer to the more common bluing on the mx8.

although still something in the back of my mind make me feel like I'm getting something inferior if I go for the comp1...so I gotta get past that.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
36,901 Posts
Blast from the past

Other Mentions

Reactions: Steve W

· Registered
36,901 Posts
thanks, I had seen the first link but not the 2nd. The first link makes me think the types are the same across the two, making me think the type 1 at Giacomo is very old.
sure to be more posts here later, just offering something to get you started. I have seen some very nice Comp1’s but don’t know a thing about them.

Reactions: blackandgold

· Registered
8,719 Posts
Type I, II, III, IV only refer to the FE iron design changes, not the gun.

There're occasional FE wood cracks happened to older type FE, but not as common as some think.
To fix a cracked (usually hairline crack) FE wood is not expensive, I wouldn't worry about it since the price you paid for the older guns are cheaper than newer type IV anyway.
I had one that cracked through from metal to metal ends, it's been shot over ten thousand rounds as is, nothing happened.

Comp 1 is older, but very similar to MX8 in design with square monobloc, only cosmetically differentiations (except FE type). Generally prices are couple thousands less than a type IV MX8, IMO, they're good value.
As long as seller doesn't priced it as a MX8 I'd not hesitate to buy one again.

· Registered
2,225 Posts
IIRC, there were some more differences between Comp 1s, early MX8s (Type 2&3) and current MX8s, such as where the lever lock release pin is located on the breechface. Earliest guns had it at the 3 o’clock position. I think Type 2&3 had it at the 12 o’clock position. Newer and current ones have it at the 9 o’clock position.

I think there were other differences in the size of the lever spring and the guide it goes in. There are a couple different diameters.

· Registered
2,311 Posts
All above are correct. The older Type1, Typ[e 2 and Type3 guns really refer to the FE design, with the Type4 being the best engineered, most desired design.

The Type1 and Type2 guns will have top lever release trips in different places, but the real difference is in the Top Lever design (between Type 1, Type2 and Type3. Fortunately, the receivers will accept the newer Top Levers easily. If the gun is real old you should check to see if it has the old style ejectors, they are hard to get now. I have 1 set of top & bottom old style now.

· Registered
490 Posts
I think the T1 AND T2 both had the top lever release on the left. I have a 1971 MX8 and it is definitely a T2 and has T2 iron and the release is on the left. A 1973 Mirage I had slipped into the T3 range with the release at the top. The forearm wood would exchange between the '71 and the '73 and NOT with the wood from the '68 T1.
make of that whatever you will
Charlie

· Premium Member
8,299 Posts
thanks for the thoughts everyone.

The firearm I had come across, apparently had already sold....

so back to the drawing board.
That was one good buy in my opinion. These guns would bring $3500 not that long ago if chokes were unmolested. Flyer shooters really liked them. I haven't seen one in that shape for that money in a really long, long time. I did buy it too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.